Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WHAT COULD THIS RASH BE?

(24 Posts)
MrsBigD Tue 28-Jun-05 20:45:07

I know it's going to be hard to tell by a description but I'll try anyhow...

o.k. ds is 10 months old and started a rash today. Now it's all over his face, legs, tummy, down to his 'bits' and a little bit on the upper back.

It looks like lots of little red spots that seem to be clustered.

Doesn't seem to bother ds though and he has no temperature.

So now I'm wondering... could it be because he was playing in the grass yesterday? or because he's teething? Or are there kids illnesses that don't necessarily have a temperature with them?

DD had a fever a couple of days ago but no rash.

If the rash persists I'm naturally off to the doctor with ds, but I thought maybe somebody on this wonderful board has an idea

I'll try and post a picture on members profiles but not sure whether the picture will be big enough to 'diagnose'
Thank you

MrsBigD Tue 28-Jun-05 20:47:06

managed to do it!

here's the pic

Gillian76 Tue 28-Jun-05 20:47:09

Could it be as simple as a heat rash?

KBear Tue 28-Jun-05 20:47:22

My DS (3) was covered in a rash last week which I could only put down to heat rash. It lasted two days. It might not be the same but was quite nasty.

mears Tue 28-Jun-05 20:47:36

Could be response to something he has eaten. DS1 had a rash like that when he ate a satsuma for the first time. Has he had strawberries?

mears Tue 28-Jun-05 20:48:31

It could be a viral rash if he had a temp a few days ago.

MrsBigD Tue 28-Jun-05 20:55:23

hmmm... ds had a whole banana this afternoon... but he's had bananas before. No strawberries or satsumas as far as I know and when he's had them before he was fine.

could be heat rash I guess... but all over his body?!? He never got all that hot as he's mainly in short bodies.

But I am greatful for any possibilities

Tipex Tue 28-Jun-05 21:07:22

does look a bit like an allergy rash, ...it it raised like a nettle rash?
if its falt, could it be pityriasis rosea? hard to tell from the pic but that can be quite florrid but they feel fine with it. did he get one larger patch appear just before the rest as thats suggestive of pit rosea

Tipex Tue 28-Jun-05 21:07:43

that should read 'if its flat'

LIZS Tue 28-Jun-05 21:10:12

I'd go along with a heat/sweat rash.

MrsBigD Tue 28-Jun-05 21:11:36

thanks tipex... the rash is not quite flat but not very raised either. The skin actually felt quite smooth when I put some Aloe on.

oh and what exactly is pit rosae? Is it viral or contagious?

MrsBigD Tue 28-Jun-05 21:12:47

oh and not sure whether there was one bigger patch first as when I got home from work he was covered. the nanny did say it was on tummy and legs first though and then the face bloomed

Furball Tue 28-Jun-05 21:20:02

Have you changed suncream or washing powder?

MrsBigD Tue 28-Jun-05 21:24:49

Furball... that was my first thought... but nope... same sunscreen as always (johnson factor 50) and same washing powder Ah well if it doesn't go 'doc here we come'... again!

I think I have to make a 'season' booking for my family. The amount of times one or the other of us has been at the surgery over the last 2 weeks!

sparkle Tue 28-Jun-05 21:28:18

this looks exactly like the rash my dd had. Her illness started with a fever which lasted for 3 days and she was really grouchy, seemd to have lost her balance and just wanted to lie down. As all of this improved she came out with a rash all over her front and back, neck, face and around her ears which looked like heat rash but became blotchy as well.

Having looked at another thread (sorry can't find it now) I am sure it was Roseola.

MrsBigD Wed 29-Jun-05 07:40:04

thanks for all your input. I'll just have to wait and see how it develops...

Pomi Wed 29-Jun-05 14:51:53

Ds 7 month has the same rash and HV told me that it is heat rash aslo prescribe a soloution "Oilatum" which you put in a bath. Have not seen the results yet as i have just given him a bath.

MrsBigD Wed 29-Jun-05 18:29:19

well came home tonight to find that the rash now has a lovely angry red colour and has spread even to the soles of his feet!

Off to the doc I go tomorrow I'm sure

ChicPea Wed 29-Jun-05 20:00:56

My DD had a sore ear and red throat and the GP said it was viral as she didn't have a temp and to expect a rash (but to still do the glass test). The rash did appear but didn't seem itchy.

MrsBigD Wed 29-Jun-05 20:21:24

glass test?! I hadn't even thought of Menengitis!

Surfermum Wed 29-Jun-05 20:24:04

This looks similar to what DD had when we were on holiday last year. She had a high temperature, then a rash a couple of days later. That spread all over her body too. She was prescribed Piriton and it was gone in a couple of doses. She didn't seem particularly bothered by it, in fact had run round on the beach all day. We hadn't notice the rash because she was in a wet suit.

MrsBigD Wed 29-Jun-05 20:28:43

hmmm I've got some phenergan in the house... then again he is a bit young for that. Saying that... he does way 11 kg! so maybe a quarter dose?... decisions!

MrsBigD Thu 30-Jun-05 16:34:58

been to the doctor ... and the verdict is...

viral rash of non-distinct origin...

Ah now I know what he's got...

HappyMumof2 Thu 30-Jun-05 16:48:23

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now