Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd having MRI scan on Thurs 2.30pm....

(11 Posts)
lilsmum Mon 27-Jun-05 20:55:17

even though dd is walking again now, and has been for 6/7 weeks i have been advised to still go through with the MRI scan, incase it is something that will re-occur and also as its highly likely that will give us a definate diagnosis as to what it was. (dont know if anyone remembers what went on)

this MRI they are going to give dd (17mth) a general anasthetic (sp?) does anyone know...

how they will administer the anasthetic? mask or injection?

what the risks are of having sedation?

quite worried tbh, but i know its something that has to be done, also to see it all through to the end, iykwim.

btw...if anyone does remember, i have recieved my reply to my complaint letter (3 weeks later than the deadline of 28days i must add! grrr) and i must give credit, its a good reply, lots of details, times, dates and have dealt with my complaint well (although i hate to admit lol) but i have been offered to go in and discuss with senior members of staff, which i will do.

tia x

lilsmum Mon 27-Jun-05 21:03:21

bumpity bump

Sax Mon 27-Jun-05 21:20:07

Hi Lilsmum, I don't know how much help I can be. My dh is an ODP and I asked him the above question - he said it will depend on the anaesthetist whether it be inj or mask however an injection would be preferable if the child tolerates it. He should speak to you prior though and discuss this with you. Obviously sedation is less of a risk than GA however you think a GA is going to be given anyway!

I myself had an MRI last week and be warned it took over half an hour to be performed. Therefore it isn't a quick in and out proceedure however I don't know what it is being performed for.

All the best with it and it will be far more distressing for you than your dd purely because you have the waiting game, she'll be totally oblivious to it all.

lilsmum Mon 27-Jun-05 21:23:38

thanks sax, thats really helpful.

they have said that they will keep her in for 2-3 hours afterwards, too, dd was in hospital in march and was on IV antibiotics and had bloods taken a few times so i now she will go mad with a injection, guess that what i am worrying about...she will know (gulp!) what is going to happen, i am kinda hoping they will go for the mask, even though thats awful (i can remember vividly having the mask when having teeth out as a child )

x

lilsmum Mon 27-Jun-05 21:26:02

should add, its being done on her foot, as it is still a bit of a mystery as to the diagnosis, they treated it as a bone infection though, but i am tending to think it was a fracture (caused by a previous admittance to the hospital for gastroenteritis) as she had a cast on for 3 weeks, and once that came off her foot was fine, also the IV and oral antibiotics did nothing for her foot.

hunkermunker Mon 27-Jun-05 21:28:37

I think it's a good plan to get her checked out thoroughly.

DS is having sedation for his radioactive kidney scan in August and I'm scared, but realistic I suppose. I hate the idea that he has to have this done, but we need to know if the UTIs have damaged his kidneys (he had another one last weekend ).

I am SO pleased your complaint letter got a good response - look forward to hearing what they say at the meeting. If you're still not happy with things, ask for a follow-up at the time though.

Hugs to Lilly xxxxxxxxxxxxx

lilsmum Mon 27-Jun-05 21:32:53

aaww HM, your poor little cutie ds , hope all goes well and they get to the bottom of the problem.

its me who is fretting lol,lilly will be fine, i just wanna know and have proof it was that silly cow doctor who did this to her in the reply it said this MRI should show evidence if it was her who did it ( i KNOW it was) and from the canulation.

Sax Wed 29-Jun-05 11:46:48

lilsmum - good luck for the MRI tomorrow, let us know how your and dd are doing won't you. Thinking of you tom. All the best....

JakB Wed 29-Jun-05 12:33:14

Hi lilsmum, my DD has had an MRI and she's had a GA three times now. They have ended up using the mask as DD (autistic) too wriggly for the injection. DD wasn't perturbed by this but the doctor told me that most children prefer the injection as the mask is too scary. They do keep your child facing away from them when they put the drugs through the canula (spelling?!). Be prepared to be upset when she goes to sleep. I can never get used to it. And often children are upset when they wake up but it's just the effect of the anesthetic. Take some of your DD's favourite stuff with you- does she have a cuddly toy she sleeps with? And good luck honey.

Sax Fri 01-Jul-05 14:46:35

Bump for lilsmum -

how did the MRI go? Was it terribly traumatic for you and did she tolerate the mask or have the injection - let us know when you can!

lilsmum Fri 01-Jul-05 19:08:09

hi sax...sorry not been on sooner, trying to cut down on MN as i have alot going on at mo.

her appointment was 2.30pm so couldnt have anything to eat after 8.30am, they didnt take us through till 4pm!! (grrrr!!)

she had a cannular, tried her left hand (didnt work) so did her right hand, and off she went to laa-laa land lol, thought i would be upset but was ok, she was very upset when they were attempting the cannular

the scan lasted an hour, then they brought her round with oxygen and she was fine, she went up to the ward and they let us go after 20 mins, lilly was quite "drunk" for a couple of hours though.

thanks for asking, and being concerned xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now