Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what could keep causing her to have the runs?

(9 Posts)
Fio2 Mon 27-Jun-05 13:45:42

school have rang and my daughter has the runs again. She seems to be having it hell of alot just lately. last week i thought it was most probably the heat, but it has cooled down now. Where do i go from here? Obviously it makes her very sore as she is still in nappies (sheis 5 and has special needs)

what could cause it? any ideas?

Fimbo Mon 27-Jun-05 13:51:37

There is a bug (sickness/runs) going round at my dd's school at the moment. My 18mth old ds had it from last Tuesday until yesterday. Dairy products sometimes can be a cause. I have to avoid raisins because they give me the runs as does anything creamy. Hope she feels better soon, there is nothing worse than having a sore bum.

Fio2 Mon 27-Jun-05 14:08:22

she is having them too regular for it to be a bug, sorry yours have been ill to Fimbo

Berries Mon 27-Jun-05 14:42:50

Does she have a lot of juice - particularly apple? Some kids are v sensitive to it (dd1 is). Found out last year that its quite common.

NotQuiteCockney Mon 27-Jun-05 14:44:55

DS1 often has runs-ish. I think it's too much fibre in his diet. He will happily eat tons of blueberries, watermelon, etc etc.

Oh, it can be a bug, too, though - you can get a gut infection that keeps you running a bit fast ...

Fio2 Mon 27-Jun-05 14:52:38

yesterday the only thing she ate alot of was cucumber and strawberries and mushy peas and fish and chips.......

bigdonna Mon 27-Jun-05 22:17:40

does she drink alot of orange juice as this has a laxative effect on some children

emily05 Mon 27-Jun-05 22:19:34

ds get the runs if he has a lot of fruit and fruit drinks (especially apricots)

Mae1 Tue 28-Jun-05 12:49:43

When did she last have a proper poo? There may be a chance she is constipated. When you haven't been to the toilet for a while, the intenstines / colon can only hold so much - so the person ends up with an overflow - which is watery and resembles the "runs".
I had this with my eldest - I was convinced she had bug after bug - I was wrong she was chronically constipated.

Worth checking!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now