Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any quick tips for getting what I want at the GP's?

(14 Posts)
Flossam Mon 27-Jun-05 10:13:00

I know I am a nurse, but never had to be a bolshy (but polite) patient before - getting ready to go, so anyone able to help me?

Flossam Mon 27-Jun-05 10:17:18

No? He has tongue tie and I have decided to push for an op.

starlover Mon 27-Jun-05 10:18:21

cry.

Marina Mon 27-Jun-05 10:20:08

List of questions. Press them on why they don't want to opt for surgery. Insist on a referral to the surgeon anyway. Cry, as starlover says.
Make sure they know they are dealing with a fellow health professional!

nailpolish Mon 27-Jun-05 10:21:08

hi floss, if i were you i would write some things down, as there is nothing worse than leaving and then remembering some points you wanted to make

dont be nervous, you will be fine, you are doing it for your wee boy, which i think makes you stronger than if it was for yourself

let us know how you get on

WigWamBam Mon 27-Jun-05 10:21:37

Write everything down so that you don't forget what you want to say, and keep repeating it.

Insist on a referral, and if the GP won't refer you then ask to see another GP.

mears Mon 27-Jun-05 10:22:48

Don't be fobbed off! Be firm and clear, you want referred. Have you info on tongu-tie to take with you?

mears Mon 27-Jun-05 10:23:51

have you got this?

Pruni Mon 27-Jun-05 10:24:35

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Mon 27-Jun-05 10:25:46

I find that if you speak authoritively and keep to your aim (getting a referral for an op) you usually get your way. Failing that, go to another GP.

As a nurse, you should be able to come across as someone who knows what you are talking about. I am often asked if I am a nurse (I'm not) simply because my parents are doctors and I suppose I use certain terminology which makes me sound professional.

Flossam Mon 27-Jun-05 10:26:09

Mear's, great thank you very much! Gotta go!

Flossam Mon 27-Jun-05 10:59:38

How quick was I? To be fair the surgery is at the top of the road, but my shoe broke on the way, so arrived with only one shoe on! Saw the same doc I saw last time. She said her child had the same 7/8yrs ago, and she felt it was not necessary. There seems to have been a couple of new bits of research now, and as before a year old the op is so small I feel the pro's do far outweigh any cons.

So I just went in and handed over my bit of paper with stuff scribbled on and said I would like him referred. She said OK, and then questioned me on whether I really wanted to 'inflict a general anaesthetic on him' but if they are less than a year GA is not required, AFAIK. Only being referred to local hospital though, but I will see what they say, be interesting to find out how bad DS's tongie tie is - it is attached to his lower gum - and judge from there whether to push for a referral to a surgeon who does it.

I am quite cross really, the more I read into it that it was not picked up before. I did notice it when he was a few days, but said to my mum about it who said not to worry. So I didn't! But BF was painful for me, a study online shows that pain scores on feeding fell from 8/9 (can't quite remember off pat) to 1 following the op. It was painful for a good couple of months. I don't actually know when my nipples are being touched anymore - I don't know if that is normal after BF? I had my latched checked and all was well. Would also explain DS's frequent (felt like constant!) feeding. I also wonder if the fact that he found it hard to feed could in anyway be related to his jaundice.

He has been screaming for over 3 months now yet has not progressed on to anything else. He does not stop screaming, nicely, don't get me wrong. But I feel that this is the only way he can communicate atm. He has always had a lot to say! Sorry I am going on now, but I am getting myself worked up about it! Thank you so much for all your help everyone and hopefully we will be able to get somewhere now.

Steala Mon 27-Jun-05 11:27:37

I've only just seen this thread. Both my sons had a tongue tie so I have every sympathy. Both had it divided (eventually) and I can honestly say it made all the difference.

First time around, breastfeeding was agony. Worse than contractions. DS1 wanted to feed every 25 minutes and each time I curled my toes and cried. I bought book upon book on b/f technique and had numerous sessions with the midwives who couldn't see what I was doing wrong. After weeks of showing my (infected) cracked nipples to anyone willing to look (I am usually very shy), I finally went to the doctor who made me stop feeding for a week to protect DS1 from the infection in the cracks.

When I started again, it was no better and I was worried about the bond with DS because I just couldn't stand him anywhere near me. I was in too much pain. I finally insisted on seeing a breastfeeding counsellor who diagnosed it over the phone and referred me to the wonderful Mr Griffiths in Southampton. DS1 was taken away for 30 seconds, came back a little red in the face but not crying and fed straight away. No GA, no stitches, nothing.

Within 2 days feeding was painless, down to every 3-4 hours and a lovely bonding experience. DS was much happier. Looking back, he was simply starving and exhausted from trying to feed when he could not latch on.

Second time around, I saw DS2's tongue tie in the delivery room and insisted on being referred before we left. The paediatrician at the hospital divided it at nearly 4 weeks old. This time I went into theatre with him. It is such a simple procedure: they lift the tongue up and snip beneath. There was a tiny drop of blood but once he had fed, it was gone. Again the difference was dramatic. I also noticed he was a lot less "windy". I imagine in his efforts to hold on for dear life, without making a proper closed latch, he was swallowing lots of air.

From my experience, I am ardently in favour of division if it is causing feeding problems. I have large scars from the infected cracks and I am quite annoyed that it took so long to pick it up. I saw 5 midwives, a health visitor and a GP before someone realised what was causing the problems. Most had also looked in DS's mouth. It was obvious to me (the tongue was heart-shaped and curled up at the sides when he cried) that the tongue didn't look like a "normal" tongue, but as he was my first baby, I though perhaps they just grew. I'd never heard of a tongue-tie before and the professionals didn't bat an eyelid.

Let me know if you need any more details. I'm really pleased I went through the operation both times.

Flossam Mon 27-Jun-05 12:12:46

Steala, thank you for you lovely long post. Benbenandme ds also had this and saw the same consultant as you, she has sent me some of his info. I am still feeding DS but he is now 7.5 months old, so realistically I don't know how far I will get. Mr Griffiths only does tongue tie up untill 8 months I think. Oh I don't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now