Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

It IS possible to feel depressed ...

(7 Posts)
Carla Fri 24-Jun-05 14:34:00

.. and still function perfectly adequately. Isn't it? I feel I am, anyway.

AnnieQ Fri 24-Jun-05 14:40:24

Yes, it is. I'm well again now but suffered from PND and was still able to function adequately, it was a case of having to when you have a baby to care for. It doesn't mean that you aren't depressed if you can still function adequately.

Why do you ask - has someone said something to you?

starlover Fri 24-Jun-05 14:42:20

yes it is. when i was at my worst i still went to work etc because it was the only thing that kept me from falling apart completely.

i don't think it's just possible... i think in a lot of cases it's necessary!

JustThinking Fri 24-Jun-05 14:57:11

Message withdrawn

motherinferior Fri 24-Jun-05 14:59:20

Yes, I actually wrote a piece about my experience of depression, a few years ago, and that borderline between extreme unhappiness and depression - you're functioning, you're not hearing voices, and at the same time you feel absolutely dreadful.

Lots of love, Carla
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Caribbeanqueen Fri 24-Jun-05 15:02:05

Definitely. In fact I think that's why so many people find it hard sometimes to actually go and get help, or talk to loved ones about depression, because everyone thinks that they are fine and have noticed nothing wrong.

Sax Fri 24-Jun-05 15:27:30

Carla - do you want to tell us how you are feeling atm?

I function perfectly well for the world to see on a daily basis but have been dx as clinically depressed and according to the HV little questionaire yesturday this was severe???/?

Anyway, yes you can function normally but it needs to be addressed if you feel more low than not. This is important becasue I carried on for ages believing I could sort myself out -but there comes a time when you have to realise you can't. Maybe you aren't there yet - whats going on? Do you want to discuss your feeling atm?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now