Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ds (5 wks) spent whole day either feeding or crying

(15 Posts)
berolina Thu 23-Jun-05 19:26:14

Literally the whole day. He's only been quiet for 5 or 10 mins at a time and has hardly slept at all. Carrying, changing nappy etc. doesn't calm him for more than a few minutes. The non-stop feeding I can deal with and expect, but why does he seem so inconsolable? Is it anything to worry about? He's been given medicine for thrush in his mouth - could he be reacting badly to that? It's heartbreaking to hear him screaming
He has a lot of milk spots on his face and just now I've noticed a very few little red spots at the top of his chest - however, they feel smooth, unlike the milk spots. Could this be anything to worry about?
Thanks

Frizbe Thu 23-Jun-05 19:28:07

Poor little mite is probably just hot, sounds like heat bumps to me, have you got a fan you could stick him near?
I guess you've checked he's not bunged up with wind after his feeds? as sometimes that can build and become a problem?
Sure someone will be alone with more/better advice soon
{{{Hugs}}}

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Jun-05 19:28:11

Could he be hot? I've felt like crying all day.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 23-Jun-05 19:28:38

Oh, we find spritzing with cool water, or a not-very-warm bath, quite cooling.

starlover Thu 23-Jun-05 19:28:39

i was gonna say the same thing!
ds has been quite grumpy today as well

dinny Thu 23-Jun-05 19:28:42

Has he got a temperature, Berolina?

Donbean Thu 23-Jun-05 19:29:17

Possibly a growth spurt.
This would explain the feeding.
Possibly heat rash on the chest.
do you have access to a call out GP system if you are worried, you could get him checked over.

mears Thu 23-Jun-05 19:30:54

Sounds like a typical 'shitty' day in the life of a new mum and baby Berolina. If it is hot perhaps he is uncomfortable. I am afraid you get days like these and hopefully tomorrow will be better. It is distressing when you cannot console a baby - you have my sympathies. Congratulations on doing so well breastfeeding BTW. You really deserve a gold star

Donbean Thu 23-Jun-05 19:32:05

Erm.....i think that an assignment calls you mrs!
There is a thread dedicated to you on this subject.....go on do your work!!!!!

berolina Thu 23-Jun-05 19:32:15

Don't think he has a temp, but will pop and take it now
I did suspect the heat, but it's been this hot here for days and days and he's never been so upset.
Thank you for the answers...

Mum2Ela Thu 23-Jun-05 19:34:10

Make sure the spots on his chest disappear under pressure, just to make sure they are nothing nasty. Prob just a heat rash tho.

FWIW my DD had thrush in her mouth and was given Daktarin (I think thats its name). Its used to make her projectile vomit and she really hated it. Don't know whether thats related?

Also, when my DS was about 5 weeks old he acted similarly to your DS. Cried all night and all day - very out of character. I couldn't hold him, touch him, change him, he was very sleepy, not feedingmuch, it was just terrible. I couldn't do anything to console him and I just cried and cried. Eventually after a day I took him to A&E (it was a Sunday so no docs) and they couldn't find anything worng with him and toi this day I have absolutley no idea what it was. I can speculate that it was a very painful belly or perhaps the curry I had eaten really didn't agree with him, but I just don't know.

Have you tried stripping him off and putting him in a tepid bath in case its the heat?

berolina Thu 23-Jun-05 19:38:46

37.36°C (rectally)

berolina Thu 23-Jun-05 19:39:48

will be off for a bit giving him a feed, but haven't disappeared - please keep ideas coming

berolina Thu 23-Jun-05 19:57:48

The spots do fade under a glass, but I'm not sure whether they disappear completely. dh thinks they do. (it's difficult to do the test cos he's so small and thrashing around).

berolina Thu 23-Jun-05 21:25:39

he's ok.
phoned the doc after all bc of the rash and they said to pop in.
he has a heat rash - you were right - and probably just completely miserable and overheated, poss colicky.
he even calmed down while at the doc - now he's off again so time for a feed i feel.
thank you again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now