Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Recipe for a healthy bread -sweet or not - child won't eat!

(14 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 10:22:00

Has anyone got a recipe for a bread with lots of vegetables or fruit in it? My son has taken a non-eating fit and wont eat ANYTHING. Thought i would make him a bread with stuff in it, that he dosent know about.
many thanks

TracyK Thu 23-Jun-05 10:33:14

could you not make some muffins with oats and blueberries etc in it?

clary Thu 23-Jun-05 10:35:29

yeah, surely blueberry muffins are virtually a health food?
Or carrot cake is good too.
Or bread with sundried tomatoes and olives, yummy.
No recipes as am at work

TracyK Thu 23-Jun-05 10:38:52

I think annabel karmel has muffin recipes in her book. google for them or look on deliaonline

sweetmonkey Thu 23-Jun-05 10:38:59

i have a recipe for coconut bread if you want it?

TracyK Thu 23-Jun-05 10:40:23

I do I do!

sweetmonkey Thu 23-Jun-05 10:44:51

Coconut bread

by Bill Granger - from bills food

Makes 8 thick slices

Preparation time less than 30 mins
Cooking time 30 mins to 1 hour

Ingredients
2 eggs
300ml/10½fl oz milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
350g/12¼oz plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
225g/8oz caster sugar
150g/5oz shredded coconut
75g/2½oz unsalted butter, melted
To serve
butter
icing sugar

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
2. Lightly whisk eggs, milk and vanilla together.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and cinnamon into a bowl, add sugar and coconut, and stir to combine.
4. Make a well in the centre and gradually stir in the egg mixture until just combined.
5. Add melted butter and stir until the mixture is just smooth, being careful not to over-mix.
6. Pour into a greased and floured 21x10cm (8x4in) loaf tin and bake in the preheated oven for one hour, or until bread is cooked when tested with a skewer.
7. Leave in tin to cool for five minutes, and remove to cool further on a wire rack.
8. Serve in thick slices, toasted, buttered and dusted with icing sugar. Makes 8-10 thick slices.

NB. You can freeze the cooked coconut bread. If you slice it first, you will be able to take a slice or two out as you need it. Defrost it then toast and serve as above.

havent tried this recipe yet gonna make some on sat

sorrel Thu 23-Jun-05 10:45:52

basic soda bread recipe:
1 lb plain flour
1tsp salt
1tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of sugar
1 pint of buttermilk

place dry ingredients in a bowl and add buttermilk gradually. mix with one hand gently in a stirring movement until slightly damp dough is formed. use as pizza base or add:
olives
raisins
cherries
apricots
blueberries
semi dry tomatoes
herbs
choc chips

turn out onto a baking sheet and make a cross in the top with a knife .Prick all over with a fork( to let the fairies out)!!!
bake @200c for 20-30minutes or until golden brown and hollow sounding when tapped on the bottom.eat on day of making.

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 10:51:12

thank you people. the cocunut bread sounds lovely and i have all the ingredients in the house, might just make that shortly.

Anyone got recipes for a bread/muffin that you can disquise vegetables in? Corn, brocolli, etc?

GhostofNatt Thu 23-Jun-05 10:52:59

I've got a book with a sort of cheesy corn muffin in at home - will post it thsi evening if it's still any use to you!

SoupDragon Thu 23-Jun-05 12:13:25

You can apparently hide spinach in chocolate things.

SoupDragon Thu 23-Jun-05 12:14:08

And somewhere I've got a recipe for courgette muffins - same principle as carrot cake,

chipmonkey Thu 23-Jun-05 12:29:59

I make carrot muffins, ds1 thinks they're chocolate, ds2 tasted one and said "There's peas in it!"

mamadadawahwah Thu 23-Jun-05 12:40:49

All recipes welcomed.!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now