Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd 8 has terrible griping pains, doc says not appendicitis

(19 Posts)
dolally Wed 22-Jun-05 22:22:42

.... took her to the doc this evening as this is the second day of on off pains. He says it's wind/gas and has she eaten any dodgy fruit? Can't think what. Pain is more on the left side not right. any one else had this?

WigWamBam Wed 22-Jun-05 22:23:47

Is she constipated?

HappyMumof2 Wed 22-Jun-05 22:24:58

Message withdrawn

WigWamBam Wed 22-Jun-05 22:25:27

Sometimes childhood migraines manifest themselves as stomach pains, too.

HappyMumof2 Wed 22-Jun-05 22:26:24

Message withdrawn

hunkermunker Wed 22-Jun-05 22:27:13

Mesenteric adonitis?? Inflammation of the something or other - bro had it when he was about 11 and it wasn't serious, just uncomfy. (sp?)

My appendicitis started on the left though - was referred pain. Why does the doc say it's not appendicitis?

Miaou Wed 22-Jun-05 22:29:09

I used to suffer with this all the time at about that age. GP at the time put it down to stress and I'm sure he was right (I developed IBS as an adult due to stress).

dolally Wed 22-Jun-05 22:29:37

Don't think she's constipated, certainly no diarrohea (sp?) she drinks plenty of water and eats lots of cereal. Don't think she's stressed either, though certainly tired at the moment, lots of out of school activities. When the pain goes she says she's hungry.

Willow2 Wed 22-Jun-05 22:29:46

There are also glands in the stomach which, in children, frequently become inflamed. DS has had bad tummy aches that have gone away in a day or two and would seem to have been nothing more than this.

binkie Wed 22-Jun-05 22:30:38

Left side is apparently typical of gut distension from, exactly, wind/gas.

Dd (4) has had these, but not very badly, for a few months - ever since I decided she ought to be having healthy breakfasts to keep her going at school. Doc said it was a side effect of the muesli! It always went away after going to the loo. How's your dd managing there?

dolally Wed 22-Jun-05 22:33:25

To be honest doc spent five mins with us, asked if she had diarrohea, where the pain was, and tapped her stomach. then said she's full of gas, agreed appendicits is always the first concern but seemed very confident it wasn't that, mainly I think because it's on the wrong side... but yes I worry what if he's got it wrong?

Strangely it was the same time of day yesterday she got this pain.

HappyMumof2 Wed 22-Jun-05 22:36:27

Message withdrawn

dolally Wed 22-Jun-05 22:37:02

She's been eating alot of wholegrain cheerios recently ?! Is it possible to have too much roughage. She's asleep now, after eating toast, and simultaneaously clutching her tummy and saying she was starving.

nooka Wed 22-Jun-05 22:37:24

Have you tried something like fibrogel? I get very bad stomach ache every now and then, and that really helps (very gentle natural stuff). Actually helps then and there (usually followed by lots of wind)

binkie Wed 22-Jun-05 22:41:47

Yes - I think that's what doc was saying to us - too much roughage. Plus fast scoffing of rather tart stewed apple.

But really, in a German sort of way, I think what your dd's bowels are doing - normal? anything at all? - is the crucial bit. (Also relevant to appendicitis - from very bitter experience I can tell you that bowel horrors are an early indication of appendix problems.)

dolally Wed 22-Jun-05 22:42:31

I thought appendicitis starts in the middle and moves to the right. Also yes, I would have thought pain would be more or less constant.

I really don't think she's worrying about anything - she's not a worrier. She did do a large fart when we came home from doc which made me happier(!) that maybe it's just wind. However I am very aware that symptoms of things are not always exactly the same in every person... I had an ectopic pregnancy that was very unlike any text book.

motherinferior Wed 22-Jun-05 22:44:57

I get dreadful IBS, which involves a lot of left-hand pain. I will not go into details, but it's a bit textbook (and embarrassing) when I get it. (Mine's very linked to food. I can keep it at very low levels if I steer off soya, oats and too much coffee. And don't drink too much beer.)

dolally Wed 22-Jun-05 23:00:18

thanks for your input girls (or guys). I think it must just be wind and stuff, will have to keep an eye on what she's eating. Should I starve her for a day? don't really know what food to give her. Diarohhea and sickness I'm used to but not this. Hope to god she's not getting IBS at her age.

I know someone who got her IBS under control by cutting out wheat, motherinf.

love to you all

motherinferior Wed 22-Jun-05 23:14:08

Nah, I can stuff myself with wheat, doesn't make a blind bit of difference. For me it's oats, soya - tofu is a killer - and too much caffeine. Everyone's told to avoid wheat these days, and I'm sure it works for some but most of the time I have to say it's just a fad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now