Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

sunburn and moles appearing from nowhere

(16 Posts)
Titania Wed 22-Jun-05 16:07:26

i got bad sunburn on saturday and its started peeling today. yesterday i noticed 2 moles that have appeared from nowhere on my shoulder thats the most burnt. today they are bigger again. they are changing colour....a bit darker in the middle and lighter on the outside. it is worth mentioning to my doctor tomorrow? or is it just from the sunburn? what are the chances of it being something more sinister?

WigWamBam Wed 22-Jun-05 16:08:29

Yes, it's worth mentioning to the doctor. You should check out any new moles, or any that change size and colour.

misdee Wed 22-Jun-05 16:08:48

get them checked.

fishfinger Wed 22-Jun-05 16:08:53

youa re very fair too t

bambi06 Wed 22-Jun-05 16:08:56

i would show him anyway to be on the safe side.

Titania Wed 22-Jun-05 16:09:52

yes i am quite fair skinned

teeavee Wed 22-Jun-05 16:10:35

definitely get them checked out

SaintGeorge Wed 22-Jun-05 16:17:39

Get them checked out for your own peace of mind but they are probably large freckles not moles. Moles tend to be a raised bump and don't appear overnight. Even changes to an existing mole are unlikely to be quite that rapid.

Titania Wed 22-Jun-05 16:44:03

thanks

SoupDragon Wed 22-Jun-05 16:53:42

Most of my moles are flat though StG.

Always worth getting these things checked out though, T.

SaintGeorge Wed 22-Jun-05 16:55:51

I was trying to offer a bit of reassurance Soupy - I did say 'tend to be'. Just didn't want T panicking.

SoupDragon Wed 22-Jun-05 16:57:09

Hugely unlikely to be sinister though given that they've appeared so quickly.

Titania Wed 22-Jun-05 17:05:01

ok. thank you all x

ButtonMoon Wed 22-Jun-05 17:09:17

I had mole on my chest that changed colour and seemed to be getting bigger. i went to the docs to get it checked out and he said the general rule is that if they are round in shape they are ok. It's if they become deformed in shape and bigger, bleed, itchy and oozing that you need to worry. He told me to put a ruler by it and take a photo and check the difference every month or so. I would get it checked just to be sure but hope this is reassuuring. Sounds like a patch of skin pigmentation to me though.

saffy202 Thu 23-Jun-05 09:41:07

When I went to the 'mole' clinic I was told that they don't necessarily have to be round. They look at them in comparison to all the others on your body. Mine were all funny shaped but because they were all similar they were fine. If all of them are round bar one for example then that would be more suspicious.

I think for piece of mind it is worth checking. I was referred to our local hospital which has a clinic once a week - couldn't believe how busy it was.

Titania Thu 23-Jun-05 13:23:55

asked the doctor today and she said that she wants to check them again in a week when Im not so sunburnt and generally 'crispy'

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now