Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

extra nipples..

(5 Posts)
MamaMaiasaura Wed 22-Jun-05 09:46:45

Strange question but ds was born with the beginnings of a 3rd and 4th nipple although the 4th looks just like a crease in his skin and the 3rd not really developed either more like a dimple. Firstly why does this happen and does it cause/hint at anything else? And also ds asked me what it was and i just said a dimple and we carreid on with what we were doing. Basically as he is only 5 i felt best i didnt explain what it was as he might go shouting it out (like 5 years olds do) and might get teased. I know i should be honest and i dont want to fib to him either.

Has anyone else had exp of this?

geekgrrl Wed 22-Jun-05 10:01:44

Hi Awen, as far as I know this is fairly common and is one of those things that show humans evolved from animals and occasionally little reminders like underdeveloped extra nipples or a small tail appear in babies.

Here is a bit more info.

As for explaining it - I know what you mean about getting teased. Might be worth sticking with 'dimple' unless he asks more detailed questions?

MamaMaiasaura Wed 22-Jun-05 10:06:37

thanks

lucy5 Wed 22-Jun-05 10:09:19

My dh has one, just as described in the link. Never mentioned being teased about it, unless you got up close you would think it was a mole.

Mama5 Wed 22-Jun-05 10:13:06

my dh has a tiny one as in link. My first two and fourth children do not but my third has a tiny tiny crease that is definitely something to do with it. neither has ever had any bother or teasing ( apart from by me!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now