Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken pox hell

(25 Posts)
Jodiesmum Tue 21-Jun-05 09:19:48

DD1 had it and was fine, now DD2 (age 2) has it and is really really ill. Just wondered if anyone has any good tips other than the usual? She's boiling hot (even with Calpol and Nurofen), covered from head to foot in spots and itching like crazy. Also should I be worried or is this all completely normal? I was on the verge of taking her to A&E in the night as I coulnd't get her temp down but decided I was probably being hysterical .

mumbojumbo Tue 21-Jun-05 09:26:04

Hi

When ds2 had chickenpox, we got Piriton on prescription from the docs. Seemed to help stop the itching a bit. Other thing we tried was Aveeno (stuff in the bath) and lotion which also helped with itching. You can get this in Boots.

Hope your dd is feeling better very soon.

LIZS Tue 21-Jun-05 09:28:52

dd is just recovering from cp. Piriton worked well for the night itchiness and tepid baths. She didn't really get a temperature but has a hacking cough now.

Hope your dd feels better soon.

ninah Tue 21-Jun-05 09:56:52

you can get Piriton over the counter, no need for prescription, agree it is good
Eurax cream for itching (or calamine of course) and bicarb in the bath
Lots to drink
When she is a little better suggest taking her out someone (fairly deserted obv - beach?) as any distraction from the itching helps
Hope she's better soon

milward Tue 21-Jun-05 10:04:31

When my dds had chicken pox I put some porridge oats in the foot of a pair of tights and put this in the bath - really soothing & helping with the itching.

bigdonna Tue 21-Jun-05 21:43:48

i used calamine lotion, and i gave her rhus tox homeopathic tablets this seemed to stop the itching and she seems to have gotten away with very little scaring .

HappyHuggy Tue 21-Jun-05 21:44:57

I started a thread almost identical to this a couple of weeks ago

Its horrible isnt it.

Some one mentioned an oat bath or something like that?

I'll have a look and see if i can find it for you

xxx

hoxtonchick Tue 21-Jun-05 21:45:38

oh god, ds came out with his first spots today. i am 37+ weeeks pregnant. please let his be a mild case....

dinny Tue 21-Jun-05 21:46:59

ppor thing I gave dd 3 tepid baths a day with a tablespoon of bicarb of soda in. really eased it.
but if you are worried, take her to a&e - don't want to scaremonger but a friend's dd was seriously ill with chickenpox - I think because she became septic.
anyway, although rare there can be complications. just trust your gut feeling.

Jodiesmum Tue 21-Jun-05 21:50:37

Thanks everyone, I'm trying all the tips you've mentioned. I am still really worried about the high temp thing - have given Calpol and Nurofen half an hour apart again this eve and she's still absolutely boiling. Think I may still end up in A&E if my nerve fails!

HappyMumof2 Tue 21-Jun-05 21:53:10

Message withdrawn

Gem13 Tue 21-Jun-05 21:55:23

poor you Jodiesmum - can you ring the GP rather than taking her to A & E?

hoxtonchick - snap! DD had 2 spots at bedtime but thankfully I'm not pregnant!

HappyHuggy Tue 21-Jun-05 21:56:32

have you tried ringing NHS direct?

sorry cant find the thread btw

dinny Tue 21-Jun-05 22:00:15

if Calpol and Neurofen aren't bringing it down I would defo go to A&E or call doc (depending on how high it is??

HappyMumof2 Tue 21-Jun-05 22:00:26

Message withdrawn

dinny Tue 21-Jun-05 22:05:41

exactly, Happymum...
maybe Gp would doa home visit (fat chance, I expect)

toomanypushchairs Tue 21-Jun-05 22:30:56

we did the tepid baths with bicarbonate of soda along with piriton. hope it doesn't last long for you dd. am dreading the time my dt's get it. the big 2 had it years ago, it did seem to get worse as each child caught it!

Gem13 Wed 22-Jun-05 19:22:49

How is she today?

anchovies Wed 22-Jun-05 19:43:27

DS has got his first spots today, am presuming its cp as they're fluid filled like little boils?

How long does it last? Are they always poorly at the same time? He seems fine at the mo but has had the start of a cold the past couple of days.

Polgara2 Wed 22-Jun-05 23:35:44

Both my dd's had cp earlier this year. DD2 had a high temperature with it - around about 39 - but wasn't as ill as dd1. DD1 didn't have such a high temp but felt really ill and desperately itchy with it. We used calamine aqueous cream rather than the lotion and a cream called tea tree and witch hazel was probably the most effective on the itching but we had to reapply it almost constantly!! Have to say didn't find Piriton had much effect. She took the Rhus tox too - can you tell we were desperate? - but couldn't really say whether that made much difference in amongst all the other things we had.

Jodiesmum Thu 23-Jun-05 09:30:10

Hi everyone, feeling extremely cheerful this morning as I think we're over the worst. After 3 nights of the high temp, DD2 spent last night only slightly warm, though still v itchy. Temp was 40/41 for 3 previous nights and only going down to 39 at lowest, after Calpol and Nurofen. I told the GP this yesterday, when I was at a real low point with it all, and she was completely dismissive which I found v surprising - though I suppose I'll bear in mind for the future. You're always told you should get their temp down so if you can't, you feel like something's wrong. By the way, we've found a fantastic anti-bacterial skin spray which is really soothing and is supposed to prevent infection and scarring - all natural ingredients. Called Salcura intensive skin spray, available from salcuraonline.com. Really hope it works - DD2 looks like she's going to be scarred for life right now.

hoxtonchick Thu 23-Jun-05 09:44:35

my poor ds is really suffering today. he's not very hot, but terribly itchy and miserable. dosed up on neurofen & piriton, but we still had a terrible night. currently asleep on my knee, i can't even move to turn off c-bloody-beebies. oh, & my baby's going to be induced next tuesday.....

Jodiesmum Thu 23-Jun-05 13:52:23

I really feel for you HC, specially with your baby due. If it's any consolation at all, the really bad bit with my DD only went on for 3 (very long) days - hope it will be same for you

maomao Thu 23-Jun-05 13:57:58

Sorry to hear that DS is so poorly, hoxtonchick. Hope he's on the mend soon!

hoxtonchick Thu 23-Jun-05 14:00:22

thank you jodiesmum. really hope your dd2 is feeling better. maomao, i'm going to feel so bad if your dd gets it....

i have just managed to slip over, & fall down 2 steps. luckily fell on my bum rather than bump, & baby has been wriggling fine since, so only momentarily worrying, though painful. ds came rushing over to give me a cuddle, then told me off for not wearing shoes.... so maybe he's feeling better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now