Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Babies and sun screen - help!

(17 Posts)
Raindog Mon 20-Jun-05 11:10:52

With all this hot weather I have been keeping DD (6 wks) completely out of the sun, but I wondered about when you were supposed to start using sunscreen? I've got some Johnson's SPF40 but it doesn't mention what age you can use it from. Obviously it is best to keep babies out of the sun, but every time I leave the house there is a small risk of some sun getting through so what do you do? Her hats are far too big at the moment, and she is too hot with long sleeved clothes. Help!

jessicasmummy Mon 20-Jun-05 11:11:59

i would apply a very small amount.... i did with jess last year because it was so hot. We use factor 50 now - she is 11 months now and no way i can get away without anything. HTH

hana Mon 20-Jun-05 11:20:06

boots 60 says 18 months !
I have been using it on dd2 who is nearly 6 months
maybe there is a special baby lotion?

like you she is always covered or actually not even in the sun, but I have been putting it on just in case

RTKangaMummy Mon 20-Jun-05 11:26:23

WATCH

THIS MORNING

They are going to be talking about suncreams soon

ITV1

RTKangaMummy Mon 20-Jun-05 11:29:05

Use muslins covering them in buggy with the hood up

Also put a towel or muslin on car window

Undo window put material between window and top of door then put window back up and there you are baby in complete shade

HappyMumof2 Mon 20-Jun-05 13:25:59

Message withdrawn

hovely Mon 20-Jun-05 14:19:43

As I understand it, actually muslins won't help to protect their skin - they do make a little shade, so it will feel cooler for a baby, but all the UVA and UVB rays just go straight through, as if they had nothing there at all.
(was trying to find a link where I remember reading about this but now can't find it)
The best product I found is a Shade-A-babe buggy cover, it fits on like a raincover and it's made of tough mesh - keeps out 98% of UV rays and the baby can still see out and get a breeze through it. they are pricy but seem to have a high resale value as they don't really wear out.

serenity Mon 20-Jun-05 14:21:36

Mothercare do a SPF50 that is suitable from birth

koalabear Mon 20-Jun-05 14:25:43

john lewis to the shades for buggys like raincovers - very think black mesh (as hovely suggests) - for £29.99 - we bought one last year and it has been invaluable - worth every expensive penny

Raindog Mon 20-Jun-05 17:04:02

Thanks everyone. So I'll probably steer clear of the suncream for now and invest in some kind of shade - anything has to be better than constantly rearranging the parasol every time you turn a corner!

dramaqueen72 Mon 20-Jun-05 17:18:45

theres a nice organic baby sun lotion you can buy online......think its the green people one...I dont think it would hurt to apply some just incase sun gets thro.

006 Mon 20-Jun-05 17:23:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

eidsvold Tue 21-Jun-05 00:07:54

I used the 60+ on dd1 at 8 months when we went to AUstralia for holidays. It was fab.

Chickyboo Tue 21-Jun-05 00:20:03

I use factor 25+ and australian buggy shade thingy and very thin cotton clothing but last year when dd was 2mths old I just kept her in shade as much as poss thats the best. Maybe check out some Aussie websites

Nbg Tue 21-Jun-05 04:35:09

My mum told me about some stuff called Uvistat which is a complete sum block.

She said they use it at her work for patients who's skin are very sensitive.
Don't know if that would be any good to you. It's sold in Boots.

Like other's I have used Johnsons Factor 40 on dd, have done from 6 months.

Ameriscot2005 Tue 21-Jun-05 06:28:36

It's better to use sunscreen than risk burning. Worrying about using sunscreen on their skin is all based on assumption, paranoia and theoretical risk, whereas UV damage is very real.

Can you still get E45 sunscreen? It uses only physical agents - zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. I remember buying it once for DS1, but wasn't tempted to again as it was like putting on Sudocreme.

I think the easiest thing to do, if you can't avoid the sun, is to put your baby in a UV protection bathing suit and hat, then all you need use cream on is their hands and feet.

NotQuiteCockney Tue 21-Jun-05 07:17:48

Another vote for those suncovers. They're very good for helping kids sleep in the pram, too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: