Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

HELP with morning after pill

(6 Posts)
feelingstupid Sun 19-Jun-05 16:42:30

Hi I am a regular here but posting anonymously because I feel so stupid. LAst night the condom came off (sorry if tmi) and although I don't think anything had happened by that stage, its still given me a bit of a fright as I got pregnant with dd two years ago while using condoms. I have been thinking of going on the pill for a while now, especailly as I have just started my first relationship since dd was born. If I go to the doctors tomorrow will it be too late? I feel very very stupid, because this was the first time since dd that I have dtd and I should have learned my lesson from that. If I do get the morning after pill is it also possible that they would prescribe me the pill as well, sort of killing two birds with one stone iyswim? I feel so foolish for asking these things because it makes me sound ignorant, but I'm just really upset and I feel I've let myself down. I don't want my doctor to think I'm irresponsible either

Gobbledigook Sun 19-Jun-05 16:48:28

Don't feel stupid - what's irresponsible about using a condom?! You were using protection but it's not 100% failsafe and that's not your fault!

YOu could still get the morning after pill tomorrow morning but you can get it over the counter if you like - you have to take it within 72 hrs.

They might suggest you go on the pill but you won't be able to start it straight away and you can't take it the same time as the morning after pill (I don't think).

Is there really any chance you could be pg though?

SoupDragon Sun 19-Jun-05 16:49:23

You have 72 hours I think and you can go to the chemist and buy it over the counter. No need to go to your doctor. Assuming you're in the UK.

burstingbug Sun 19-Jun-05 16:49:32

I think you have to get the morning after pill within 72 hrs (unless its changed since I last looked)so tomorrow morning will be fine. Your doctor should be able to put you on the pill too.
You've not let yourself down, nor should your doctor think you were irresponsible either as you were using protection, and accidents do happen like them falling off and splitting etc.
HTH

sparklymieow Sun 19-Jun-05 18:17:14

This happened to me last month, tho not the condom coming off, just got carried away when I had a bit to drink anyway went to the GP and got the MA pill and he also gave me the pill to start taking when my next period started

aloha Sun 19-Jun-05 18:18:55

The sooner you take it the more effective it is though, so I would advise finding a chemist that is still open today if this is remotely possible.
Why do you feel stupid and irresponsible? What on earth is stupid and irresponsible about a/using a condom and b/ using backup contraception when your first choice failed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: