Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i have something stuck in my throat

(26 Posts)
stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:04:07

finished dinner about an hour and a half ago and can't get rid of the feeling that something is stuck in my throat. it feels like a razor. or a thistle. ie, it is very irritating.

have tried:
gargling
ice cream
water
coughing
half hearted retching

to no avail. short of cutting my tonsils off (unlikely) can anyone advise how to get rid of this very irritating sensation?

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:07:14

Did you have fish for dinner??

RubysReturn Thu 12-Nov-09 22:07:57

Try eating piece of doughy bread

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:08:02

lamb chop...

squashedfrogs Thu 12-Nov-09 22:08:33

Eating the soft doughy part of some bread can help with fish bones - even if you haven't had fish it might still be helpful.

displayuntilbestbefore Thu 12-Nov-09 22:09:02

do you need to say sorry to someone?
grin

seriously, though, try a slice of bread thickly spread with butter - works for fish bones so may work for whatever you have - or you might have scratched your throat with some of the food and that can feel very uncomfortable.

BelaLugosiNoir Thu 12-Nov-09 22:09:22

did you have fish? if so there may be a fish bone lodged somewhere or even stuck in your tonsil. Get someone to have a peer!

squashedfrogs Thu 12-Nov-09 22:09:57

It might be that you've scratched your throat but there isn't anything still stuck there. This can happen with fish bones and it feels like there's something stuck even when it's cleared.

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:11:43

no doughy bread in the house - bread is too much of a temptation to have just lying around.

dh tried having a look and was then tempted to have a quick poke at my epiglottis with his stupid fat finger. no help.

do you think a biscuit might similarly help? clutching at straws.

it feels massive. and is driving me nuts

displayuntilbestbefore Thu 12-Nov-09 22:14:30

could you maybe sniff a bit of pepper and see if it makes you sneeze...possibly also dislodging whatever it is in the process - long shot I admit, but worth a try seeing as you've already had a fat finger at your epiglottis!

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:15:19

Hmm. To be honest, don't eat anything else and pop down to A&E just incase you have swallowed a bit of bone and it's stuck in your throat, you can't be too careful. Best to be on the safe side.

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:15:59

i am willing to try anything within reason.

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:20:04

now i have a runny nose and the razor blade is still stuck in my throat.

really? a&e? was just there with dh on saturday. it's not my favourite place

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:22:15

Well, it's possible that you could have a bit of bone stuck there from the chop? You could also be coming down with the flu if your nose is running, have you checked your temp?

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:26:33

runny nose due to my gullible acceptance of display's suggestion that some pepper might shift it. the pepper really works if you're looking to sneeze a lot btw.

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:31:58

grin

It's a tough one, I imagine that bones on a lamb chop are fairly solid though and don't break off easily. Have you checked the left overs to see if anything's broken off?

displayuntilbestbefore Thu 12-Nov-09 22:32:15

oh sorry, staines. I was working along lines that often if you suddenyl think you're going to cough badly with a cold, blowing your nose hard can get rid of whatever's making your throat tickle. blush very sorry sad

Think on balance Fluffy's the more sensible oe and a quick trip to A &E to get it checked could well be in order........go now and you might beat the louts at kicking out time.....

ellielou02 Thu 12-Nov-09 22:32:25

My dd got a fish bone stuck and A&E gave her lucozade

RumourOfAHurricane Thu 12-Nov-09 22:33:46

Message withdrawn

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:35:57

Fluffy works in x-ray, I've seen a few fish bones, not a lamb chop bone though, it's possible.

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:39:45

i really thought the pepper might work. it was a good idea, but hasn't done the trick. i have been looking on the www for remedies - there doesn't seem to be a standard solution. i can't be the only one. am trying a combo of gaviscon tablet and gargling with soluble aspirin right now.

it feels like a small piece of barbed wire maybe. i am sure it's miniscule. but i so don't want to go to a&e. busy or not, it's the 3rd circle of hell.

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:42:48

A&E's OK, it's there for a purpose.

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:46:57

of course you're right. but i don't wanna gooooooooooooooooo. waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

FluffysBeenBittenByAVampire Thu 12-Nov-09 22:48:49

Call your out of hours and see if they can have a look at it for you. If it's red then you probably don't have anything stuck. smile

stainesmassif Thu 12-Nov-09 22:54:43

giving nhs direct a go. it's so hard to see the back of your own throat.

nhs direct have 4 hour waiting for non - urgent calls!! as i can still speak, breathe, drink and eat i can't justifiably qualify my situation as urgent.

am going to bed and hope it will have just melted away overnight.

fluffy - if you would come and hold my hand i would go to a&e with you. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now