Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Bleeding between periods?

(7 Posts)
Kerrymumbles Thu 12-Nov-09 11:55:56

I had normal period (every 24-28 days, bleed for 4-6 days, spotting towards end) 3 weeks ago.

A week ago I started spotting. Dark brownish. That has gone on for exactly 7 days now and some of it is red blood, not just dark but is very and a few small clottish thingies.

This does not happen often. I think once or twice before.

My concern is it's day 7 and i'm still bleeding (it's brownish mostly and still very light). It's not like a normal period in that I had no cramping, heaving flow, etc.

What's going on? Will this stop?

Sparks Thu 12-Nov-09 11:58:57

You really need to go to the doc and get it looked into. I had this and it was to do with perimenopause and nothing to worry about. Don't mean to alarm you, but there could be a number of reasons for bleeding, one of which is cancer.

deepdarkwood Thu 12-Nov-09 12:00:10

Bleeding between periods is always worth getting checked out with GP - could be cervical erosion (benign & pretty common) but worth checking.
When did you last have a smear (just becase they are likely to ask you to have one just in case if it's been a while)

Kerrymumbles Thu 12-Nov-09 12:22:15

had a smear under a year ago.

I'm 47.

mummygogo Thu 12-Nov-09 17:25:53

I've just been through all of this. Dr was really good. I was referred for all manner of tests, scans, swabs, cameras but the upshot was it was all fine. I am glad I did it though otherwise I would be sat here still worrying about it. Definitely get checked out. If nothing else it will put your mind at rest

Kerrymumbles Thu 12-Nov-09 17:32:26

this is the first time it's happened. I mean once? is that a big cause for concern really?

wait, I lie. It happened once before a few years back and I went in and all was ok. had scans, etc. plus 2 smears since.

ClaireDeLoon Thu 12-Nov-09 17:39:32

I had it this - had it for two months before going to docs as had had it before and it was put down to stress (and I was very stressed when it happened). If you aren't stressed I would go along.

It could be any number of harmless things, like people have said cervical erosion, or polyps etc. I had investigations and mine was put down to hormonal (but doc said not perimenopause).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now