Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Please help with advice on improving lifestyle and getting exercise - I am a bit desperate!

(27 Posts)
RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 18:31:56

I need to lose quite a bit of weight.
Circumstances make it very hard to exercise out of the house or commit to regular class.

Not wishing to reveal by stealth grin

Only thing I can think of as being practical is to buy exercise bike/strider thingy, but I am aware that they must be about the least used purchase in the UK.

Does anyone have any advice or words of wisdom?

KurriKurri Wed 11-Nov-09 18:41:16

Pick an exercise you enjoy, otherwise you won't feel like doing it. If you use a bike or something similar, listen to music while doing it - its easier to think 'I'll keep going to the end of this song' than 'I must do two miles' or whatever. Don't set yourself enormous goals you can't achieve, set yourself up to succeed, not fail. Keeping an exercise diary can help, then you can look back and see what you have achieved. If you aren't doing any exercise at the moment then ten minutes a day is a good achievement IYSWIM.

Try not to think of it as 'I must lose weight' think in terms of 'I'm doing this because it makes me feel good.'

I do a lot of yoga, which is easy to do in the house, very relaxing and a gentle way of toning.

Good lucksmile

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 18:45:14

The diary is a good idea! I am such a nerd, I would probably turn it into spreadsheet or a graph.

Truth be told, I hate pretty much all exercise, it bores me to tears. I thought on exercise bike, I could listen to music or watch telly grin

KurriKurri Wed 11-Nov-09 18:46:05

Oh, meant to say - in a diary, record all the exercise you do e.g. going up and down stairs, walking to the shops etc. as well as specific 'exercise'.

One of those step counter thingies may be useful, - small changes you can incorporate into everyday life can make quite a difference. smile

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 18:55:01

Hmm, I wondered about one of those nintendo pedometer thngies - coudl pinch the dcs ds!

Might be a 5 minute wonder though

swanriver Wed 11-Nov-09 18:56:53

I lost weight in the halfterm over two weeks.
It was not a plan, it just happened.
I didn't have access to regular meals due to circumstances, and lived on tea and bread and jam
I walked long distances.
I felt slightly hungry most of the time but lived with it.
I ate just enough at meals to stop me feeling desperate but never more, and not just to finish what was on my plate.
I drank no alcohol whatsoever.

I think once you feel just slightly hungry you know you are eating less - it can be a positive feeling - you recognise you are doing something to cut back and feel stronger for it.
Apples and bananas can be craving busters.
Could you walk at weekends with kids or dance in evenings for short bursts to music?
Swimming is NOT a good way to lose weight - healthy but makes you hungrier.

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 19:01:05

RIght
Maybe busted oven will lead to accidental weightloss
Am greedy guts so need to foster 'hunger is good philosophy'
Cannot walk with children (spend all time stopping them from fighting each other - imposs to get above 2mph)
By end of work/school/activities/homework, I don't much feel like dancing (no sir, not today)
I hereby give up booze today (that was easy!)

swanriver Wed 11-Nov-09 19:01:29

P.S. I have never in my life taken formal exercise, or been good at games - I think walking and dancing are the key because they are not boring or competitive.

swanriver Wed 11-Nov-09 19:05:38

X-post. Could you stride purposefully round corridors of power instead?
sorry about dancing - sometimes I do a rage /frustration dance a la Billy Elliot???

Othersideofthechannel Wed 11-Nov-09 19:17:13

I can't commit to regular class or exercise out of house easily. I do a Davina DVD a couple of times a week. I usually have to get up v. early for this or do it on the weekends when DCs have just got up as they usually play nicely for an hour before breakfast.

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 19:35:57

Striding sounds fun, but there seem to be security doors every 20 metres or so, makes it hard to get a flow.

Maybe I could stride purposefully around Bluewater grin.

I have just ordered an ex bike (half price) on basis Dh and I can use it. Or hang ironing from it!

Bonsoir Wed 11-Nov-09 19:38:42

Diet is more important than exercise for losing weight. If you walk for 3O minutes, briskly, per day, you are taking enough exercise. Fix your diet and get plenty of sleep - you will lose weight.

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 19:42:44

I don't get to regularly walk briskly for 30 mins each day! Very rarely in fact

I am a highly time efficient 3 toed sloth.

I know the diet thing, but I think I do need to exercise as well. I mean, everyone knows how to diet, it is just a case of eating less bad stuff and reasonable amounts of good stuff

lovechoc Wed 11-Nov-09 19:52:18

Exercise bike. Best investment I ever made.

BikiniBottom Wed 11-Nov-09 20:02:12

Diet may be more important regarding losing weight but exercise is more important for keeping healthy. Plus on the rare occasions I actually do exercise it actually reduces my appetite.

BikiniBottom Wed 11-Nov-09 20:03:38

Oh and where did you get your exercise bike for half price. Also does anyone know just how flat a folding treadmill is, i.e. how much space it takes up.

purplepeony Wed 11-Nov-09 20:03:59

Put on your fave music- lively bouncy stuff- and dance/jiggle very fast around the house for 30 minutes. If you can throw in a few press ups or lunges as well, great.

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 20:06:16

Roger black bike from Argos - £250 to £125

KurriKurri Wed 11-Nov-09 20:11:32

Yes, exercise raises mood, and tends to make me less hungry. Also it makes your body look thinner, even if you don't lose weight, because you're more toned.

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 20:19:31

I get hungry as a horse when I exercise grin

KurriKurri Wed 11-Nov-09 20:21:19

Have a big drink before you eat anything - fills you up grin Enjoy your bike!

gingerkirsty Wed 11-Nov-09 20:28:19

I can heartily recommend weight watchers online if you want to change your eating habits too - and I would also say it's better NOT to let yourself feel hungry - that's when temptation kicks in, IME. Also you need to eat enough food to keep you going, just make sure you are filling up on the healthy stuff! Good luck

RubysReturn Wed 11-Nov-09 20:42:19

am guessing you don't mean large glass of red grin

KurriKurri Wed 11-Nov-09 20:58:20

put it in a sports bottle - know one will know grin

swanriver Wed 11-Nov-09 21:17:19

Ruby, I am back here because I'm still locked up in bed and feeling v. bored.
Still thinking of your connundrum.
Do you ever take your kids to the playground or park at weekends - could you chase them purposefully?
Gardening [hedgeclipping, lawnmowing, digging, chopping branches] is very exhausting and fittening
as is hoovering over several floors
If your dh is at home at w/e could you insist on walking/running by yourself for half an hour mornng and afternoon on some scenic route? Take one kid with you as special "treat"
Does he like walking?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now