Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chronic sinusitis..........help please :-(

(18 Posts)
springboks Mon 09-Nov-09 14:24:49

Does anyone know of any good alternative treatments for chronic sinusitis, I feel utterly horrible and sick of it. I had an ENT referral a few weeks back and the Dr basically said the only options he could offer were to grin and bear it, and hope for a reasonable quality of life, or have surgery. He gave me no advice or information, and at the time I was so shocked by his attitude that I didn't think to ask more questions, I just said I didn't want surgery.

I don't want to keep taking antibiotics and nasal steriods, are there any alternatives?

Any advice would be greatly received.

Springboks x

jalopy Mon 09-Nov-09 17:17:29

Poor you. Have you tried netipot? Lots of people recommend it on here.

springboks Mon 09-Nov-09 19:24:32

Thanks Jalopy

I had never heard of a netipot, but just had a quick google and it looks a similar concept to the saline spray/wash I get from Boots, I've only been using that for a week so I'll persevere and see how I get on.

x

SlightlyFoxed Mon 09-Nov-09 19:49:15

hi there

I've heard that cranial osteopathy can be good - I suffer myself and am about to try the osteopath route, will let you know if it works any magic! you have my sympathies, it is horrible isn't it.

posieparker Mon 09-Nov-09 19:54:02

When I get it my DH massages my eye sockets, into my head and face.... it's very relieving.

springboks Mon 09-Nov-09 20:28:35

Good luck with the osteopath, I'd be really interested to hear how that goes.

Off for a soak in a very steamy bath now!
x

asteroids Mon 09-Nov-09 21:46:21

Hi,
I suffer with chronic sinusitis but it seems to come and go. I first got it a couple of years ago: chronic nocturnal cough and completely lost my sense of smell as well as awful post-nasal drip. After lots of antibiotics and steroids, got to ENT appointment and they said there was nothing they could do except surgery and strongly advised against it.
I was then diagnosed with asthma and medication alleviated the cough but no other symptoms. I now have flixonase nasules which I use every day and which alleviate the symptoms but don't cure the PND which is the worst part.
All I can say is that symptoms do seem to ease off after a while although it is all a bit up and down.
I did read about a new treatment which involved inserting a balloon into the sinus and inflating it to enlarge the cavity: less intrusive than the usual surgery with better results. Might be worth investigating if nothing else is working.

Katisha Mon 09-Nov-09 22:12:41

Ha springboks I had exactly the same. The ENT doctor basically left it up to me whether or not I had surgery. I just don't get this attitude - he is the one with years of medical training not me! How am I supposed to know?

Anyway, like you I declined surgery if there was any chance I didn't actually need it.

Things that work for me : flixonase. Actually that's about it.
And bizarrely I am pretty convinced that it's been more manageable since having reflexology - normally I don't give any credence to alternative medicine, but I was desperate. Acupuncture had no effect whatsoever but I reckon the reflexology either helped, or it was coincidental. Who knows.

asteroids Tue 10-Nov-09 10:11:00

My ENT chap thought it might be related to hormones as most of his referrals were middle aged women.
He said he usually only saw people once, they rarely got a second referral. He didn't know if that was because their symptoms had eased though.
Balloon sinus treatment link:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8103949.stm

springboks Tue 10-Nov-09 18:23:02

Thanks folks

Yes, the PND is the worst thing for me too, I am also getting a wheezy cough in the evenings, I don't know if it is related or not.

The saline spray seems to be helping a lot but is giving me making my nose bleed a bit.

I'll check out the balloon thing....

x

alypaly Tue 10-Nov-09 19:18:38

DS2 has it and has had it for years.
He had allergy tests and his is caused by the dust mite.Have you had allergy tests.

He is always spitting green out.
What happens is ,his nose is allergic,it produces more mucus,he then goes to sleep with his mouth open cos he is bunged up and then the mucus goes thicker and greener.
His doc put him on nasonex nasal spray and cetirizine. it has really helped.

the fact that you say you have a cough ....do you eckon that is because you are swallowing the gunge in the night. You dont suffer with heartburn by any chance do you?

LizzieBear68 Tue 10-Nov-09 19:50:19

I love my neti pot and recommend nasal irrigation all the time! No, it’s not exactly killer party conversation but good habits w/ the sinuses can go a long way toward good health.
I am a huge believer in natural cures, and in not jumping to meds or surgery too quickly. However I must say that if things get to the “chronic” stage don’t mess around. See your doctor and then if you get a ct scan make sure you know all your options (it used to be that sinus surgery was the only option. but now there are less invasive choices like balloon sinuplasty).
That’s my two cents. Take care everybody and keep those nasal passages clean!

alypaly Tue 10-Nov-09 19:59:52

we have sold a few SALT PIPES just recently and the same customers are coming back for more and highly recommending them for nasal and asthmatic problems. i think they are about £25

southeastastra Tue 10-Nov-09 20:02:31

i had an op on mine though it wasn't caused by allergies. neti pot was great but the op was the only thing that really made a difference.

i wanted to try collodial silver at one point. but didnt want to turn blue

AmericanHag Wed 11-Nov-09 16:23:14

When I kept getting sinus infections, my doctor kept giving me antibiotics. The damned antibiotics gave me vaginal yeast infections. angry

Once again, the internet saved me ;) and I use a neti pot regularly and take LOTS of Vitamin C. I mean LOTS. Too much to take in tablet form (tummy distress), I have to use powdered C in water.

I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on television, so I hesitate to give medical advice. Lots of Vitamin C worked for me.

Katisha Wed 11-Nov-09 22:22:25

How much Vit C are we talking here?

giraffesCantLightAFirework Wed 11-Nov-09 22:24:55

My gran had the surgery twice and it still didnt help - she is now on high dose of antibiotics. I get it frequently and often get labyrinthitis at the same time.

Not got any advce really am afraid - its a nightmare. But you have my sympathy.

moocowme Thu 12-Nov-09 20:07:26

yes loads until i saw the osteopath and he told me to keep my mouth shut and keep breathing through my nose. i must say its loads better since then.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now