Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Feminax modified because "people were using it to get high", but a stronger product still available. Huh?

(11 Posts)
PrettyCandles Mon 09-Nov-09 11:40:13

I don't get it.

I went to buy my first packet of Feminax in about 6 years, but find that it is now just ibuprofen and paracetamol. The magic ingredient, a muscle-relaxant called hyoscine hydrobromide, is no longer included. Pharmacist says that it's because people were using Feminax to get high. But she sold me travel sickness tablets which are essentially hyoscine hydrobromide. Of course, she said, she couldn't sell them as a muscle-relaxant or as a treatment for period pains, but only as travel-sickness tablets!

I've no idea how much to take. I know that travel sickness tablets tend to make me zonk out, which didn't happen with Feminax, and which I don't want to happen.

Tell me, what's the point in withdrawing something therapeutic, but leaving available something stronger, cheaper and just as abusable?

Fennel Mon 09-Nov-09 11:41:45

oh, I loved that Feminax high sad. It made all the difference, ibruprofen and paracetamol don't have the same effect.

AvrilH Mon 09-Nov-09 11:49:13

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Feminax_Review5606387

claims old ingredients were:

500mg Paracetamol, 8mg Codeine & an antispasmodic, Hyoscine Hydrobromide 0.1mg and Caffeine 50mg

PrettyCandles Mon 09-Nov-09 11:57:40

Avril - I LOVE you!

Harebelle Mon 09-Nov-09 12:43:02

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

scattyspice Mon 09-Nov-09 12:46:20

Oh bummer, I love the feminax high too. You gotta get your kicks where you can these days.

Solpadeine quite nice (it must be the codeine).

PrettyCandles Mon 09-Nov-09 12:47:30

Yes, that makes sense. But why take out the hyoscine?

Or may;be hyoscine was never the magic ingredient, and I just thought it was. After all, when I've taken codeine in the past I was always too ill to appreciate the effects!

Still, next time I shall try taking a third of a travel sickness pill, together with a couple of paracetamol, and see what happens.

cocolepew Mon 09-Nov-09 12:48:56

Syndol has codeine and a muscle relaxant in it.

AvrilH Mon 09-Nov-09 15:56:40

Surely you could replicate it better with co-codamol, coffee, and a third of a travel sickness pill?

cheaper too

no point in paying for the feminax brand, as the reviewer pointed out

RubysReturn Mon 09-Nov-09 15:58:33

Someone used buscopan/m for bad cramps for emergencies didn't they?

PrettyCandles Tue 10-Nov-09 21:56:56

I used to find that the one drawback of Feminax was that I could not sleep on the night of the day I took it. Obviously the caffeine. So I would first try to replicate it without the codeine, so that I would not need the caffeine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now