Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Antibiotics for acne - now I am feeling worried

(7 Posts)
Feelingoptimistic Sat 07-Nov-09 22:26:25

I am prone to getting spots, enough for it to be annoying. Usual remedies have not been working so I spoke to my GP about it and she prescribed Oxytetracycline.
Ok, so I am a worrier about my health, but I made the mistake of googling it and now I am worried I am going to get serious side effects and die for the sake of vanity !!!! Took my first dose a few hours ago.

Anyone has experience of this?

ledodgyfireworksingedmyeyebrow Sat 07-Nov-09 22:27:57

You'll be fine they normally use low doses for acne treatment. I have just done 7 days on doxycycline for an inner ear infection whih is in the teracyline group and i'm fine. smile

BecauseImWorthIt Sat 07-Nov-09 22:29:11

As a precaution, it might be worth getting some acidophilus, to help maintain the good bacteria in your gut. Go to a good healthfood store - they should keep it in the fridge.

PacificGuywood Sat 07-Nov-09 22:31:58

Dh has been on this on and off for 20 yrs shock - yes, his skin is baaaaad! He is fine though only twithces occasionally wink.

Seriously, what is more important than all reported side effects, is whether you are going to get any. So try, give it a few weeks to work, if it does not agree with you, you stop again.
Simples!
smile

ledodgyfireworksingedmyeyebrow Sat 07-Nov-09 22:32:10

Just make sure you take it after food and you stay upright for an hour after taking it.

Feelingoptimistic Sat 07-Nov-09 22:36:11

Thanks so much for the reassurance !!!

alypaly Sat 07-Nov-09 23:54:16

DS2 took them for 6 months for acne. Initially they did help but then i asked doc for antibiotic lotion called Zineryt. That has worked a treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now