Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

ITCHY FLAKY SCALP _ HELP!

(8 Posts)
Rumpel Sat 07-Nov-09 11:36:54

I have had an itchlaky scalp for year now - worse when pregnant - becomes greasy too.
I have tried SLS free shampoos, fragrance free shampoos etc etc. Head and shoulders, T-gel and am currently trying vosene. It drives me mad - so itchy - try not to scratch but v v difficult. Sometimes I scratch so hard my scalp bleeds. My skin flakes off too - not big bits like dandruff but tiny particles.

Anyone got anything I can try or tips as it doens't seem to be getting any better?
TIA

delllie Sat 07-Nov-09 13:43:55

I use 'Elvive anti dandruff active selenium S' shampoo, it is the only one that actually gets rid of the flakes without really irritating my scalp. Apart from that could you ask for a refferal to a dermatologist? I see a dermatologist for mine now, my gp was treating my scalp as a psoriasis/dermatitis thing and it turned out to be something completely different, in fact what the gp had been giving me was making it worse.

JANEITEluddite Sat 07-Nov-09 14:02:45

Polytar or the Boots Expert sensitive scalp range work best for me but you do need a good conditioner - Head and Shoulders do a sensitive scalp one which is quite good: I've been using this even though my scalp isn't flakey, just itchy and sensitive.

Naetha Sat 07-Nov-09 14:07:34

Go see your doctor - they'll have a look at it, because it may be something more than just dandruff.

I get a really flaky scalp - thankfully it doesn't itch, but every month or so (when I know I'm not leaving the house) I douse my scalp in aqueous cream or diprobase (prescribed for DS's eczema!) and this keeps the scalp flake free for another month or so. Like you, no standard or over the counter anti-dandruff shampoo works. I also find that the odd bit of hydrocortisone cream gets it under control if it's horrendous, or if it is itchy.

snigger Sat 07-Nov-09 14:10:18

L'Anza Remedy Shampoo worked for me - T-Gel's a bit rough, I find.

Use it, and leave it on for a couple of minutes like a treatment, then rinse.

Rumpel Sat 07-Nov-09 20:48:01

The boots expert worked but it leaves my hair in hellish condition. I use the Loreal intense repair salon professional conditioner - fantastic stuff but it is the shampoo I am having bother with. I know Neem is goo d but the smell shock and polytar shock bleurgh!

purplepeony Sun 08-Nov-09 14:24:27

It could be eczema in which case your dr can give you a steroid lotion to apply.

JANEITEluddite Sun 08-Nov-09 15:53:31

The main reason I use Polytar is because I absolutely love the smell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now