Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Advice appreciated please - Saliva Gland Surgery

(16 Posts)
StrawberriesandCherries Fri 06-Nov-09 20:48:32

Have had a blocked gland for 2 years and now on the list to have it removed. I have looked on the ent.uk website which was very helpful, but anyone who has personal experience would be great.
Has anyone gone through this or know anyone who has?

Thank you

StrawberriesandCherries Fri 06-Nov-09 22:31:24

Anyone? smile

alypaly Sat 07-Nov-09 23:59:49

Hello
dont have the problem myself but have given alot of pharmaceuticals out to people wit that problem.
do you have to use artificial saliva at the moment or have they said it will affect you if you have it removed.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 08-Nov-09 00:07:43

DH had a blockage removed. Stitches in his mouth and he was a bit uncomfortable with it. IIRC he struggled to eat anything he had to chew for a couple of days.

I've just asked him about it. He says "Well, I didn't enjoy the experience!"

Sorry. That doesn't really help, does it.

StrawberriesandCherries Sun 08-Nov-09 12:11:43

Hi! Thanks for the replies smile

Alypaly -No artificial saliva as the other glands are working - do you give the medication after do you know? Or only before to try and unblock it?

Thanks Mary - is there much of a scar with your dh? How long was he out of action so to speak? The doc said about 5 days, the website says up to 2 weeks. Need to get dc care sorted and would be helpful to have a more definite time frame.
How long was your dh in pain for? Hope he doesnt mind all these questions!! Thanks

alypaly Sun 08-Nov-09 16:01:50

the artificial saliva is to help both before and after the op of your mouth feels dry

StrawberriesandCherries Tue 10-Nov-09 14:15:33

Thanks Alypaly

tiredfeet Tue 10-Nov-09 18:16:13

Hi, I had this a few months ago. Its a bit unpleasant at the time, and I couldn't speak clearly for about a week or so and had to have a 'soft diet' (milkshakes, mashed potato etc) for a few days. Doesn't hurt too badly, but is a bit unpleasant. The anaesthetic injection was the worst bit really, more painful than the dentist. But after that I couldn't feel anything, and only needed painkillers for about 24 hours.

They didn't warn me it would affect my speaking, and so I didn't warn work (have a public facing role) but they were quite supportive about it.

StrawberriesandCherries Tue 10-Nov-09 20:50:16

Hi Tiredfeet,
Didnt they give you a general? I have had a couple of biopsys where they put the needle into the lump and they are HORRIBLE, so i was hoping i wouldnt know anything about this if they give me a general. Did it leave much of a scar?

mummytopebs Tue 10-Nov-09 21:10:01

Hi not the same thing but my mam had a tumour behind her ear in which they did something with her saliva gland on removal of the tumour. She was left with hardly any scar as they cut down the natural crease of her neck and peeled her face back. She has been left with a strange thing that happens in that when she eats she gets saliva down her scar, its quite weird but she just uses a napkin to pat it dry x Not sure if this will help any cos hers was a completely different thing

StrawberriesandCherries Tue 10-Nov-09 21:45:41

Thanks mummytopebs, hope your mum is ok now. That must be a really strange sensation for her having saliva down her scar. My consultant said they will do the cut where you said your mum had hers so that's good to hear she has hardly any scar smile

tiredfeet Thu 12-Nov-09 13:22:28

Hi Strawberries,
my surgery was inside my bottom lip, so maybe not quite the same as what your having actually having read your most recent response?

not sure if its left a scar, its so slow in my bottom lip, by the gum line, that it would be hard to see.

I only had a local, although maybe they would give you a general for yours. Mine really wasn't too bad though, the local fully numbed me so I just didn't mind (and I am very pathetic when it comes to any kind of pain!).

The main trauma really for me was not being able to speak properly for a few days (I don't find that easy!), and I was a bit annoyed they didn't think it was important to warn me, as its quite important for my work

I hope yours goes ok, surgery is pretty impressive these days in how tiny a scar they often leave

StrawberriesandCherries Thu 12-Nov-09 21:28:11

Thanks Tiredfeet, really appreciate that info - glad you have recovered!! grin

2shoes Thu 12-Nov-09 21:29:46

I have no idea if this helps at all....
dd has just (a few weeks ago) has on removed and 2 repositioned, she recovered quickly, but did find it sore to drink or eat to begin with.

StrawberriesandCherries Fri 13-Nov-09 08:30:17

That does help thanks 2Shoes. am glad she is ok now!

mummytopebs Fri 13-Nov-09 09:40:43

Thanks Strawberries my mam is fine now, it was around 10 years ago she had hers now. I am sure the surgery will be fine and definitly dont worry about the scar because i said before my mams is hardly noticeable x

Good luck x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now