Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

10 hours post circumcision!! Help - any tips!!

(26 Posts)
MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 19:01:16

Ds not coping too well - had it done this morning - so 10 hours ago - he has had all of the painkillers he is allowed but is still crying!!

(Oh and they used the words peel and glands si it was most certainly a case of it having to be done, couldn't cope with any more antibiotics - I did not have him mutilated for the sake of it - so just help and advice please!)

andiem Fri 06-Nov-09 19:03:39

what has he had?

bamboobutton Fri 06-Nov-09 19:06:09

would getting him to bathe in a salty bath be a ridiculous suggestion?

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 19:07:30

Not sure he would be happy about the bath - the leaflet says to start those twice a day tomorrow so I am holding off till then just in case it dissolves the stitches or something!

andiem Fri 06-Nov-09 19:20:04

madame is there a contact number on the leaflet and what is the strongest pain killer he has been given

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 21:01:23

Yep there is - I have rung and they have said paracetamol and ibuprofen but he is still crying!!

He is 5 in a couple of weeks so I am being careful about how much I give him - although he is a big boy for his age!

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 21:12:03

Bump!

Is there any magic painkiller that I don't know about???

wuglet Fri 06-Nov-09 21:16:31

Sorry.

All I can think of surely the point of circumcision is that there isn't a tip grin
Not helpful, apologies.

How much does he weigh - he may be able to have a slightly higher dose then the bottle states?

Heated Fri 06-Nov-09 21:18:51

You're alternating the calpol and ibru every two hours?

Gel/ice pack?

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 21:20:19

The bottle says he can have 2 5ml spoonfuls every 4-6 hours - he can't have any nurofen till after midnight as he had a vicodin suppository.

Would he be able to have a 6+ meltlet?? He weighs about 21k.

LeonieBurningHeapy Fri 06-Nov-09 21:24:22

Message withdrawn

Heated Fri 06-Nov-09 21:29:26

Is that the adult nurofen MC? Ds, also 5, can have a higher dose than that, but it is the children's version (7.5ml children's dose for 4-6 yr olds it says on the packaging) and 5ml Calpol.

Heated Fri 06-Nov-09 21:30:33

Sorry, ignore me, misread your last post.

wuglet Fri 06-Nov-09 21:31:46

the 6+ meltlet is almost exactly the same dose as the 2 spoons (presuming you are using "under 6" paracetamol - so 250g in melt and 240 in the 2 spoons)
Is acceptable dose for his weight.

wuglet Fri 06-Nov-09 21:32:50

sorry if stating the obvious - but the meltlet would be instead of the liquid not as well as

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 21:35:53

Sorry he had Voltarol in a suppository.

Was thinking a meltlet may go to the pain a bit faster - getting into his blood stream quicker and all that??

Thanks guys - it is good just to not sit here alone cuddling him watching underdog again - to have someone actually give me decent advice really is helping at the mo.

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 21:36:51

Yep Wugket not as well as!

Do you think Medised may take the edge of his consciousness and so dull the pain a bit more or just make him even more upset?

wuglet Fri 06-Nov-09 21:38:16

has he had it before (presume so if you have it in)
did it make him drowsy...or hyper?

MadameCastafiore Fri 06-Nov-09 21:39:54

Drowsy not hyper - he has had it before the rules about not giving it to under 6's came in.

LeonieBurningHeapy Fri 06-Nov-09 21:57:17

Message withdrawn

wuglet Fri 06-Nov-09 22:08:15

if you have given him it before and he didn't get side effects...give it again.
was withdrawn from unfer 6 because of increased risk of allergies/hallucinations but is thought this is less of a risk as they get older....and was only ever a small risk anyway

skinnygirlNOT Sat 07-Nov-09 08:28:59

My DS was circumcised at 8 yrs. He was in absolute agony and seemed to be developing an infection. The doctor that carried out the surgery suggested putting Manuka honey on it. I was sceptical but desperate, however it healed up incredibly quickly and soothed him.
HTH

Heated Sat 07-Nov-09 10:40:05

How is he today? At least you'll be able to alternate the pain relief every two hours now. Hope he feels better soon.

TsarChasm Sat 07-Nov-09 10:49:33

Poor liitle chapsad

My ds (7) was prescribed a temporary course of codeine tablets when he was in agony with a broken bone recently (he's 7). The paracetamol/ibuprofen combo wasn't making any difference whatsoever at the time to the pain and we were beside ourselves.

It was only temporary though as codeine isn't too good to take for long.

The manuka honey sounds a good idea.

Really hope he feels better soon. I know how terribly upsetting it is when there's nothing you can do for pain in dc.

MadameCastafiore Sun 08-Nov-09 18:41:33

Right - thanks guys - he is a lot better today - DH spent the night down stairs with him last night so I could get some sleep and he is coping well other than when the pain releif starts to wear off.

Friend who is a nurse said can ignore only 3 times in 24 hours for some pain relief if it is just for a short time si we are at least keeping the pain at bay.

Will try the manuka honey - although he is at present kicking up as I am running him a bath and he doesn;t want to get in!

Looks vile - two big scabs on each side of the glands where the skin was stuck firn and had to be peeled back (tmi!) but at least it is healing and hopefully he will be back on track by the weekend for his party!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now