Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast feeding and thrush - have I got it?

(7 Posts)
Mezley Fri 06-Nov-09 14:40:32

Looking for advice here. I woke in the night with what seemed like hot needles being stabbed in my breast. was nearly crying in pain so took paracetemol as I am exclusively breast feeding. I thought it might be mastitis so I went to the GP this morning who on examination said it wasn't. Then I bumped into a friend who said she had the same symptoms and was diagnosed with thrush. I am waiting for GP to telephone to discuss but does anyone know anything about symptoms?

Tambajam Fri 06-Nov-09 14:48:04

The best bet is to ring the breastfeeding helpline and speak to a counsellor.
Here:
www.breastfeeding.nhs.uk/

From what you've said it's possible. Any nipple symptoms? Recent antibiotics? Any signs in baby?

Check here too:
www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

Ductal thrush pain usually comes on as a feed ends and between feeds. If you haven't had pain after feeding since last night it's unlikely to be thrush IMO.

Mezley Fri 06-Nov-09 14:54:47

Pain comes and goes, has continued post feeding. Have expressed milk and is still very uncomfortable. Baby has now had 2 greenish poos, although no obvious white flecks in mouth. Confusedhmm

Mezley Fri 06-Nov-09 15:06:08

Thanks for references, the leaflet in particular was useful

Tambajam Fri 06-Nov-09 15:08:48

The baby may have no signs. Green poo isn't relevant.
Some mums do get ductal thrush with no prior nipple symptoms.
Do call the helpline. You may end up being the one who educates your GP rather than vice versa.

Mezley Fri 06-Nov-09 15:13:51

Thanks, just called helpline but no one is available at the moment

Tambajam Fri 06-Nov-09 16:55:37

Oh no. That sucks. Try some of the other helplines too:
LLL, NCT, ABM, BfN.
It might be that you didn't get anyone at that time as a lot of the volunteers have school age children and were on the school run.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now