Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I've got new reading glasses and they make me feel a bit sea sick.

(8 Posts)
PuppyMonkey Fri 06-Nov-09 12:32:05

Is that normal?

They are done from a proper prescription and everything following an eye test.

DP reckons it's just gonna feel weird til I get used to them, but it's putting me off using them as I feel really woozy.

They also make me look a bit like Thelma off Scooby Doo. grin

PuppyMonkey Fri 06-Nov-09 15:21:31

PyrotechnicToadstool Fri 06-Nov-09 15:23:42

I'd go back to the opticians, I had this with my last pair - the prescription was fine (but didn't feel like it till it was sorted - I felt drunk and dizzy) but the frames needed adjusting so the centre of each lens was in the right place over my eye (am sure there is a more technical way of putting it)

PuppyMonkey Fri 06-Nov-09 15:31:14

Thanks Pyro. Funny, but after your post, I pushed them back slightly a bit and it was a heck of a lot better so I think you're right, they might have gone into the right position now. Will nip back if I can't adjust to them, thanks.

FairyLightsForever Fri 06-Nov-09 15:53:42

I have multifocals so it's slightly different, but my optician told me that it can take up to a month to get used to them. I certainly reckoned that it takes up to a week to get used to single lense specs, but if they're making you feel really ill then go back, just to be on the safe side.

MadameDuBain Fri 06-Nov-09 15:59:15

This happened when I got reading/screen glasses about a year ago, but they were fine within a day or two and now I often wander around with them on as I don't notice any more.

Thelma off scooby doo - that's a good thing!

MrsJohnDeere Fri 06-Nov-09 16:05:54

I've had this a few times. It has always been because they don't sit in quite the right place on my ears or nose. A slight tweak can make a huge difference. I'd go back to the optician asap and ask them to get tweaking.

purplepeony Fri 06-Nov-09 20:01:58

I had that and it was because they were too strong- the only answer I found was to hardly wear them at all until my eyes got worse! I could manage - just- without them, so did so- now I need new ones!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now