Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

after pains from core needle biopsy in breast

(17 Posts)
pinkkoala Fri 06-Nov-09 08:42:48

has anyone had a core needle biopsy in their breast.

i had it done on monday, had no pain monday or tuesday, but wednesday night, thursday and today have horrible like bruising pain under the breast and round my ribs and at the back.

it isn't tender to touch fells more like its inside, i can't lay or sit back in a chair and feel like i have been kicked in the ribs, which i haven't.

has anyone else experienced this.

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 06-Nov-09 10:34:33

I had a fine needles biopsy - not sure if they are the same thing. I didn't have a lot of pain at all. Are you feverish? You may have an infection, I'd call my gp for advise.

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 06-Nov-09 10:39:32

hi pinkoala - I had a core biopsy in April - I can't remember any pain or bruising afterwards but they do advise you that you might experience bruising and discomfort inside the breast -am sure it's fine if you feel well otherwise and have no obvious infection/temperature, but if you are anxious you can always ring to speak to a breast care nurse,who are in my experience wonderful. Good luck with the results too,it's not easy waiting.

rabbitstew Fri 06-Nov-09 13:42:30

I got extremely impressive bruising from my core needle biopsy. It took two or three days to show on the surface and did feel bruised internally before it started to show, but the pain didn't spread all the way round to my back, so far as I remember, so you sound a bit unlucky! It might be worth asking about it if the pain continues to be that bad or you start to feel generally unwell. I certainly remember the core biopsy being a LOT more unpleasant than fine needle aspiration - I think they could have given a bit more warning as to how much more invasive it is/can be! It also made my breast look rather puckered and mishapen for several months... but you'll probably be pleased to hear, just in case this happens to you, that my breast did eventually reshape itself! I think it's all to do with the scar tissue forming inside the breast and how it heals itself. I also find my breast still feels a little bit bruised at the site of the lump (they left it in, as it's benign) in the lead-up to my period since I had the biopsy. It's fine for most of the month, though, and not uncomfortable, just a sensation I am aware of.

Cakesandale Fri 06-Nov-09 13:48:03

Hi Pink

I think they underplay the core needle biopsy thing - depending on where and how deep it goes, it can be pretty sore, and the brusies do take a few days to come out.

For mine, which was on the uderside of the breast, it bloody hurt when they did it, and then remained very, very sore for quite a while. as my bra band rubbed it, and if i went bra-less, the movement did not agree with it either.

Nonetheless it does sound like you have it quite bad. I'd call the doctor or the staff at the unit where you had it done and just run the symptoms by them. As MAS says, the breast care nurses are usually fab and happy to talk about anything with you.

Hope your results are OK. It is hard, isn't it?

Earlybird Fri 06-Nov-09 13:52:36

Yes, had one earlier this year and was terribly bruised for several weeks. But don't remember being too sore to sit back in a chair.

I was given a special elasticated 'wrap' (larger version of what they put on a sprained ankle). I was instructed to insert a flat ice pack (wrapped in a tea towel or muslin) in my bra and then wrap the stretchy fabric around my torso very snugly for a few days.

Did they tell you what to expect following the proceedure? Did they tell you to do anything at home to help recovery process?

MaryAnnSingleton Fri 06-Nov-09 14:02:57

I must have a tough old breast !! Actually,they didn't warn me about the 'clicking' bit as the biopsies are taken and I nearly jumped off the bed..it was the underside of mine too and I only realised what the proceedure involved when I read the leaflet afterwards

pinkkoala Sun 08-Nov-09 15:56:11

thanks for all the comments and advice.

i feel a whole lot better today, but am having to go back tomorrow to get results.

the consultant was happy with the mammogram and ultrasound and said as far as he was concerned it was a fatty tissue, but did the biopsy as a final check.

my husband was with me for the consultation, ultrasound and biopsy, i am not good with hospitals and needles. But had no choice on this.

i am hoping that the results of the biopsy back up the other two scans.

We have a history of bc in the family, my mum, nan and aunt.

Does anybody know what they do with a fatty lump, do they leave it or take it out.

fingers crossed.

rabbitstew Sun 08-Nov-09 18:39:13

Hi, Pinkkoala,

They gave me a choice - I could have it taken out (which had to be done under general anaesthetic) or leave it in, since it was benign. I chose to leave mine in, as I didn't fancy a general anaesthetic for a benign lump. I suspect they'll also give you a choice if it is benign, as they seem to be aware that some people don't like having lumps in their breast and continue to fret about whether they are getting bigger, or if they've found a new lump, if it's left in situ.

MaryAnnSingleton Sun 08-Nov-09 19:49:39

Agree with rabbit - think they would give you the choice of having it removed or left in if benign. Really hope it turns out well for you -thinking of you tomorrow - do let us know xxx

Earlybird Sun 08-Nov-09 20:36:04

They left a tiny pin-head sized metal marker in my breast at the spot where the biopsy was done. The marker will show up in future mammograms, so they know that 'spot' has been tested and is benign (unless it changes significantly and needs to be looked at again).

Do you know if they left a marker for you?

MaryAnnSingleton Mon 09-Nov-09 08:31:33

thinking of you today pinkkoala

Cakesandale Mon 09-Nov-09 10:46:27

Hope all goes well Pink!

pinkkoala Tue 10-Nov-09 07:15:38

morning

just to let you all know the results were a benign fatty lump, i was given the choice as to have it out or leave it in, i chose to leave it alone.

we went private and the hospital have said to come back in a year for a physical exam and mammogram, which they will provide until i am 40. Then with the family history i will get it on the nhs.

I was so releived when i came out of the consultants, but it makes you realise that sometimes life can be short and you should make the most of every day.

I would urge everybody who finds a lump to get it checked out, no matter how frightened you are, no one is worse than me.

MaryAnnSingleton Tue 10-Nov-09 09:32:30

yay ! that's brilliant news pink and reassuring to know that you'll be checked every year. I agree with what you say about getting anything unusual checked out - it might be scary but totally worth going through the horrid bits -it could save your life. Relax and celebrate pinkkoala grin

Cakesandale Tue 10-Nov-09 14:41:30

So pleased for you, Pink!

Earlybird Tue 10-Nov-09 14:43:51

Great news. Glad all is well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now