Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Thrush

(9 Posts)
geordieminx Wed 04-Nov-09 15:15:09

can anyone offer any advice as to how to prevent thrush - or at least try?

It seems like an almost monthly occurance at the moment, although I'm not entirely sure that we are getting rid of it - just passing it back and forwards between each other (dh and I that is)

any hints/tips would be appreciated.

Seededbiatch Wed 04-Nov-09 15:17:12

Cut out/down on refined sugars and yeast products and eat shit loads of live yoghurt.

Mushrooms are can be thrush causers too.

geordieminx Wed 04-Nov-09 15:18:18

Live yoghurt - as in actimel type stuff?

Seededbiatch Wed 04-Nov-09 16:30:59

No, just ordinary natural yoghurt. That has live lactic acid bacteria in it as does your intestine and your vagina.

I think the actimel things are a concentrated version(i.e more bacteria, apparently) but I also think they have sugar in them and are alot more expensive.

You can use yoghurt to ease the symptoms of thrush too. Very soothing and, again, alot cheaper than cannesten although, obviously cannesten has the active ingredient that yoghurt doesn't.

I think there is a specific diet to help recurrent thrush sufferers. Google it, see what you reckon.

geordieminx Wed 04-Nov-09 16:56:54

Thanks - will pick some up at the supermarket on Friday.

Oh goody... a die grin

I know what you mean about Canestan - Boots have just taken £22 of dh's my hard earned cash for it!

Thanks again.

bebesequin Wed 04-Nov-09 20:12:16

Iron your gussets! seriously a wash doesn't always kill the fungus a hot iron over your gussets can kill resistant strain of candida- agree natural yogurt,watch your wine intake treat partner-can put natual yogurt on a tampon too-messy but does a great job of cooling things !

geordieminx Wed 04-Nov-09 20:42:28

I guess thongs and skinny jeans arent helpful either blush

BecauseImWorthIt Wed 04-Nov-09 20:49:23

Avoid wearing tight stuff - sorry, thongs and skinny jeans will be your worst enemy! Let as much air get to you as you can - wear a skirt and go commando if you dare!

Cut out all sugar - not just the obvious stuff like sugar in tea/coffee, sweets and chocolate, but also fruit and alcohol

Avoid anything with yeast or that is fermented (bread, alcohol, Marmite, soy sauce, vinegar)

Avoid white pasta and rice

Avoid fungus - mushrooms are obvious, but also don't eat left over food. Even if it's been in the fridge there can be spores in it

If you're on the pill, consider coming off it.

And don't use anything fragranced to wash yourself as it can irritate.

As well as Canestan, you could also buy some Diflucan - or the Boots/Tesco equivalent. It's a one tablet dose. But make sure that your DH also treats himself with Canestan cream as you probably are passing it too and fro.

Sorry - it's a really awful thing to suffer from. I had it every month for almost 3 years before I finally got shot of it.

geordieminx Wed 04-Nov-09 21:24:12

Been looking at causes so far:

I love vinegar, have a rubbish diet of bread, junk food and way to much chocolate. Have had major stress over the past couple of months of uni, wedding and general toddlerness, wear thongs, tight jeans, use tampons... blah blah blah,.. the list goes on...

Not adverse to the odd day of commando-nees... although in Scotland, in Novemeber I'll probably get frost-bite grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now