Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can anyone recommend a sleeping tablet that works please?

(59 Posts)
Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 13:56:38

I am feeling pretty low emotionally and physically and are absolutely shattered. I wake up every morning and it is a struggle to get out of bed. Ideally I would go to bed when the kids do and get a good 11 hours in. Never going to happen naturally so I just want a helping hand. It isn't something I am planning on doing often but I need some sleep.

TrillianAstra Wed 04-Nov-09 14:29:23

I've used Boots Sleepeaze tablets before. They're a behind-the-counter-but-not-prescription thing. The ingredient is a sedating antihistamine.

You might want to go talk to your GP though, they could have some better ideas than just knocking yourself out.

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 14:31:50

Thank you.

I asked the GP for sleeping tablets ages ago and he just said a flat no.

PrincessFiorimonde Wed 04-Nov-09 14:34:08

Fabster, I have taken Temezepan three or four times - some while back - and did get a long sleep, but also felt bit groggy in the morning, which may not be suitable for you, with kids to organise.

In any case, it's prescription-only. And so, I guess, would be anything similar.

If you don't want to see your GP, ask pharmacist's advice - I think my MIL used to take Piriton or similar anti-histamine which helped her sleep, but I'd hesitate to suggest you do the same without professional advice.

Sorry I can't really help; just saw your post hadn't been answered.

Others here might suggest herbal products, perhaps?

Good luck! smile

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 14:35:58

Thank you.

I have ds2 sat next to me crying because I won't let him watch more tv and I just want to join him in crying.

It is worse than when they were babies and feeding in the night as then I didn't have all these extra stuff to do.

MitchyInge Wed 04-Nov-09 14:38:41

it would hardly kill your GP to give you some zopiclone or something, could it be worth seeing a different one?

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 14:40:29

I am wondering about going up to Boots but DS2 is whinging and DD and DS1 will be tired from being at school so won't want to go out.

TrillianAstra Wed 04-Nov-09 14:41:24

What a rubbish GP. He should at least suggest some alternative solutions, not just say 'no, go away'.

lifeistooshort Wed 04-Nov-09 14:44:11

Can I recommend something else. I have had trouble sleeping for years and have tried everything. Then out of desperation I have tried several hypnosis CD until I found "deep sleep" by Glen Harrold. I fall asleep much easier, sleep deeper and wake up far less often (could wake up up to 6 times a night now I wake up max once a night but most often I don't)

I would heartily recommend it

MitchyInge Wed 04-Nov-09 14:59:28

at very least GP could try to address the underlying causes of your sleep problems

are you managing all the usual sleep hygiene stuff before going to bed - like steering clear of caffeine etc?

Stayingsunnygirl Wed 04-Nov-09 15:03:54

I use Sleepeaze from time to time, and I find that it works pretty well. My mum swears by Benylin original chesty cough medicine, and that does make me drowsy. Of course you shouldn't take it if you don't have a chesty cough (not that mum lets that stop her).

tribeleader Wed 04-Nov-09 15:14:40

Nytol blue works, get the one from the pharmacy, you have to ask for it

Or melatonin from online health supplement stores, it's not licensed in the uk but you can still buy it online

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 16:29:25

I probably do everything wrong but I don't drink tea or coffee and don't have coca cola very often now.

I will try and get to the shops tmw and also ask DH about the CD.

Thank you.

lifeistooshort Wed 04-Nov-09 16:38:49

I hope you feel/sleep better soon. It is awful when one is sleep deprived.

Winetimeisfinetime Wed 04-Nov-09 16:52:05

I have tried all the herbal sleeping aids and didn't find any worked but what I do find works { after reading about it here on mn } is a dose of Medised. It contains the same antihistamine as in both Nytol blue and Boots Sleepeeze { which I haven't tried } and I find I need a fairly low dose . I have had sleep issues since my ds was born 15 years ago and the first time I took Medised I slept right through the night, which was miraculous for me.

I don't feel groggy in the morning - the only downside is that you have to keep having a break from it as it does lose its efficacy after a while.

Jajas Wed 04-Nov-09 17:00:10

I don't sleep well at all either so you have my utmost sympathy.

I've used all sorts of anti-histamines including Nytol blue which does work but gives you a Nytol Hangover usually.

Benylin knocks me out but also makes me feel very sick.

Syndol relaxes me beautifully but has codeine in so you need to be very careful.

Zopiclone knocked me out too much.

I'm very interested in the CD mentioned as hate taking 'pills' to get me to sleep. As others have said, I can't believe that your doctor is so dismissive, see another one! Sleep deprivation affects your whole life, you just exist rather than living properly.

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 17:13:50

I think to be fair to the GP he did think I had enough on without starting on new pills but I am just so tired.

There is always so much to do and I am back and forth to school three times a day plus up and down the stairs countless times.

cocolepew Wed 04-Nov-09 17:15:58

I use Syndol but as jajas said be very careful, it is a painkiller. It stops my mind racing and so I get to sleep quicker.

lifeistooshort Wed 04-Nov-09 17:18:34

Jajas the CD is brilliant, it really has changed my life. I have gone from a sleep deprived insomnia to a normal person all for about £10.It is worth a shot, worst case scenario you'll have wasted £10 (which is about two pack of sleeping pills). I really hope it works as well for those who try than it did for me. But if you try, please promise to stick with it for a week. Good luck everyone

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 17:24:25

lifeistooshort - do you have a link please?

lifeistooshort Wed 04-Nov-09 17:30:37

[http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Sleep-Diviniti-Glenn-Harrold/dp/1901923207]

hope this works as i am no good at linkin

lifeistooshort Wed 04-Nov-09 17:31:01

trying again

www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Sleep-Diviniti-Glenn-Harrold/dp/1901923207

whooshspicemonster Wed 04-Nov-09 17:33:30

I use Sleepeaze too - they're basically the same as Nytol. They're not great for long term use but to break a pattern, they are brilliant.

I buy the one a night ones and break them in half otherwise you can wake up feeling dead groggy

Fabster Wed 04-Nov-09 17:36:37

Thank you.

I will take a look.

Jajas Wed 04-Nov-09 18:15:04

I've just ordered it! Thanks so much for the link lifeistooshort smile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now