Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Do u put vinegar on a nettle sting?

(10 Posts)
steph1974 Thu 16-Jun-05 16:45:51

am all out of dandelions so was wondering,got somewhere in the back of my mind that u put vinegar on a nettle sting,can someone just confirm that i'm right and not about to do something really nasty to my daughter?

WigWamBam Thu 16-Jun-05 16:46:46

You could use vinegar, but a paste made from bicarbonate of soda and water is even better.

bossykate Thu 16-Jun-05 16:47:42

wwb, the vinegar is acid and the bicarb of soda is alkali - so one of them will not work!

JoolsToo Thu 16-Jun-05 16:48:15

dock leaves for nettle stings

paolosgirl Thu 16-Jun-05 16:50:18

I know it's vinegar for wasps and bicarb for a bee (alkali from the wasps, acid from the bee so they netralise each other). I'm pretty sure that nettle stings are acidic, so it would be bicarb. I think.

bossykate Thu 16-Jun-05 16:50:39

hmm, net says nettle stings are acidic, so i would use bicarb of soda.

assumedname Thu 16-Jun-05 16:54:23

Dock leaves.

beansprout Thu 16-Jun-05 16:55:37

I never seem to see dock leaves near nettles anymore - is it just me?

pixel Thu 16-Jun-05 19:18:53

Yes, it's just you . I stung myself on a nettle the other day, looked down and there was a dock right by my feet. Isn't nature wonderful?!

Nightynight Fri 17-Jun-05 06:39:51

I recommend going out, stinging yourself twice, putting vinegar on one and bicarb on the other and seeing which works best.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: