Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Don't believe "it's just one of those things"

(5 Posts)
Northumberlandlass Wed 04-Nov-09 13:02:42

Hey - would be grateful for any advice / experiences.

2 weeks ago I discovered lump in my armpit. It incredibly painful to touch, red and about the size of a grape. Went to the docs and they said was an abscess which hadn't come to a head, he gave me some penicillian. I took the full course.

The abscess reduced in size / redness and doesn't hurt at all anymore. However there is still a lump.

A couple of days ago, I noticed that from the area where the abscess is/was there is now a long hard line (feels like a guitar string) in my arm. I can feel it under the skin, but I can't see it (it isn't red). I've noticed that it is getting longer and I 'lose it' somewhere in my bicep.

I was quite worried, so yesterday made an appointment to go back to the docs (couldn't see the original doc, so saw a Locum). She said that it had nothing to do with the abscess and called it a fibrous string - and said "oh, it's just one of those things". My arm aches and it is uncomfortable.

But I am quite worried. It just doesn't feel right.

Has anyone experienced anything like this ?
I have made another appointment to go back to see the original doc on Friday.

Sorry it's long.
x

Northumberlandlass Wed 04-Nov-09 14:10:12

Unashamed bumping.....help ?

Iklboo Wed 04-Nov-09 14:11:49

No help I'm afraid but think you did the right thing making another appointment with your usual doctor

Northumberlandlass Wed 04-Nov-09 14:36:14

Thanks Iklboo - I appreciate you responding smile

Cakesandale Fri 06-Nov-09 13:57:34

Northumberland lass

It sounds like "cording" which is where the lymphatic channels get tight for some reason - it happens a lot in women who have had lymph nodes removed (eg as part of breast cancer surgery): as you have recently had an abscess there it may have happened as a result of the channels draining away a lot of yukkiness.

Absolutely right to go to the doctors, i am no expert. But if it is cording - you can try stretching your arm straight up at the side of your ears a few times each day. This stretching helps a lot and stops it getting too tight. In any case it is unlikely to dop harm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now