Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Pleurisy - any advice?

(8 Posts)
weegiemum Wed 04-Nov-09 09:05:02

Hi there,
I was diagnosed with Pleurisy on Monday, but I've had it since about Thursday last week - thought I had puled a muscle coughing but turns out my lung lining is all inflamed - yeuch!

I'm on (more!) antibiotics and have been given 2 kinds of painkillers but I'm strugling - can't take a deep breath, and it hurts in all sorts of ways - if I stretch out for something with my right hand, for example.

I've been ill for a fortnight and am getting throuroughly fed up now. I wondered if anyone could give me any tips about it, and give me an idea of how long it will last - the GP was very vague, as was dh (also a GP).

Bonsoir Wed 04-Nov-09 09:06:26

You need to go to bed and rest in the warm. Is your DH ensuring your do this?

weegiemum Wed 04-Nov-09 09:12:24

I'm tucked up on the sofa with a hot water bottle on my ribs and a duvet over me,with the laptop and mumsnet - and poorly dd1 watching a dvd (we have all had this really ghastly cold).

I'm comfier on the sofa cos when I lie down I cough. DH is in bed - with a raging chest infection of his own!

Bonsoir Wed 04-Nov-09 09:14:04

Oh God, poor all of you! Do you have any domestic help?

weegiemum Wed 04-Nov-09 09:23:04

Yes, we've been drafting in the troops! A good friend came round and cleaned and cooked for us on Monday (not that we're eating much) and she picked up ds and dd2 from school yesterday and took them back to hers.

Another frind is cooking tea tonight and bringing it round.

We've not all been ill together like this for years - I really don't remember the last time dh was off sick!

olivo Wed 04-Nov-09 09:29:57

oh hell, i had this about 8 years ago - i didnt rest as much as i should have and it went on and on. call on as much help as you can and sleep as propped up as is comfortable.
warm drinks and regular medicine got me through, as well as a reliance on my inhalers.

really hope you feel better soon.

weegiemum Wed 04-Nov-09 10:00:33

I'm doing my best to rest but I am appalling at sitting doing nothing! But I know it can go on for weeks if you don't rest enough.

I'm on Erythromycin which is making me feel sick, a low dose steroid, co-codamol and ibuprofen and lots of cup-a-soups! I rattle when I walk at the moment!

weegiemum Wed 04-Nov-09 15:18:16

Made themistake of going to IKEA this afternoon (dh was feeling better!). Now feeling rotten!

This hurts! I've had pain in the past that was worse - kidney stones, childbirth, but this is not that different - keeps taking my by surprise!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now