Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone on statins?

(3 Posts)
alysonpeaches Tue 03-Nov-09 21:43:50

It has been suggested by my GP that due to raised cholesterol that I undergo a cardiovascular assessment by the practice nurse with a possible view to going on statins.

I have only read a little about them but what I have learned isnt good. At best, they dont seem to work, but at worst they seem to have side effects such as muscle pain, weakness and brain fog. Trouble is I get those symptoms anyway, as I suffer with fibromyalgia. So I wonder if its a bad idea. I go back to see the doc soon, so Im thinking of saying I dont want to bother.

I might try fish oils, anyone had any success with them lowering cholesterol?

canella Wed 04-Nov-09 10:59:38

used to work in cardiology - saw hundreds of patients every year and only 1 or 2 complained of muscle pain. I understand it would be tricky for you to distinguish between the fibromyalgia pain and pain from statins but they definitely do a good job in lowering cholesterol.

Not sure about fish oils - sorry!

whats your diet like? you can reduce it a little with changing your diet but some of it is hereditary! and thats where the statins have a good role to play!

alysonpeaches Wed 04-Nov-09 19:03:44

I dont eat an excess of fatty foods, I dont fry anything and have chips about once a week, usually oven chips. I dont eat dairy as it makes my IBS worse, but I do have a sweet tooth and like a dessert or piece of cake after dinner. I am overweight, but not obese.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now