Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trigger finger - ouch, ouch, bloody ouch!

(9 Posts)
Cakesandale Tue 03-Nov-09 13:59:33

Hi all

I have problems on and off with tendonitis, trigger finger (well, thumb, really) caused, as usual, by typing.

Has flared up again over the past few days and is agony - all up my arm, into my neck, even down my side. Have got it strapped up but need to type (and not JUST for Mumsnet [ grin]) are there any wise hints anyone can give me? I was due to have surgery months ago, then found I had breast cancer so that has clearly taken priority. Finished chemo two weeks ago, since when everything seems achy - but am NOT very keen to go back on the surgery list - have had enough for now!!

All ideas welcome!! Thanks!

Cakesandale Tue 03-Nov-09 14:16:00

Oh, OK, it's clearly just me. Sigh. (Reaches for antiinflammatories)

rabbitstew Tue 03-Nov-09 14:20:49

Oh dear, you've not had much luck, recently! I'm sorry to hear about your breast cancer and hope the treatment was totally successful. As for trigger thumb, I'm afraid I don't have any personal experience of it, but my son had his trigger thumb operated on when he was 16 months old and it does seem to be an incredibly quick and very effective operation. And they make the incision in the skin creases, so you don't have a visible scar afterwards. A friend of mine also had her trigger thumb operated on and was extremely pleased with the results, after months of aching, stiffness and pain. So maybe it would be worth going back on the list again??? I think they do this procedure on adults under a local anaesthetic, don't they, which would mean minimal time hanging around in hospital?

Isn't the alternative to surgery something equally horrible sounding, like steroid injections, or just large amounts of painkillers all the time?! Oh, and not typing, of course.

rabbitstew Tue 03-Nov-09 15:17:43

ps is it really just your thumb that is causing the problems, or have you got carpal tunnel syndrome, too, given you've got pain going right up your arm and down your side??? Maybe more people on here have experience of that and could give you advice? I know the two problems are connected (ie people prone to trigger finger are also prone to carpal tunnel syndrome).

Cakesandale Tue 03-Nov-09 15:43:12

Hi rabbitstew

You could well be right. Prob is more than just my thumb, the whole wrist is sore and stiff. And surgery is prob the best option. Just keen not to go that route - but I am sure I will have to.

(Was sectretly hoping someone would have a completely natural miracle cure. It's quite touching how naive I still am, after all these years,isn't it?)
grin)

Thanks for the good wishes - I think I am OK now, just a bit knackered, that's all!!!

Cakesandale Tue 03-Nov-09 15:44:11

By the way - trigger finger at 16 months?? Your poor little ds! Glad he is OK now!

rabbitstew Tue 03-Nov-09 16:03:17

Don't worry about ds2 - trigger thumb in babies and toddlers doesn't seem to be painful to them, but as their fingers aren't that strong, it does cause the thumb to be locked permanently in a bent position, because they can't pull the lumpy tendon through the tendon sheath to straighten their thumb up again. And we were a source of great fascination for all the registrars when ds2 had his thumb done, because it's a fairly rare condition in babies and children, so they all wanted to watch his operation! It's not often you get three doctors come round to see you in the space of 30 minutes!

Cakesandale Tue 03-Nov-09 17:48:52

Aw bless him!

Might not hurt at 16 months, but at 40 + it hurts like buggery!

So glad he is OK. Don't suppose you had any decent looking doctors fawning around did you?

(Cakes slopes off to make drs appointment. Sob)

rabbitstew Tue 03-Nov-09 18:00:17

Well, one of them was rather good looking... Actually, two, but one of them was female, so of no personal interest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now