Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

can someone talk to me about the coil?

(18 Posts)
Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 19:55:13

i would just like to know how it works, what are the pros and cons and are there any side effects.

if anyone can help that would be great. thanks

Mamazonarocket Mon 02-Nov-09 19:58:29

I have the Mirena coil fitted.
It doesn't hurt at all after the implantation (though Dp sometimes hits it during sex which is uncomfortable)

I don't have periods to speak of, just the odd spot.
I've not noticed any other side effects as such.

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 20:08:53

does it stop your periods mamazon?

detoxdiva Mon 02-Nov-09 20:11:55

I have the copper coil - quick, easy and painfree to get fitted (just the indignity of it really!) and once it's in I forget all about it. Supposed to check it's still in place after every period, but I rarely remember to do that!

I have no side effects - my periods were always pretty heavy and it hasn't made them any worse.

Best contracceptive I've ever had!

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 20:16:07

it isnt hormonal sure it isnt?

detoxdiva Mon 02-Nov-09 20:19:49

The mirena is the hormonal coil - the copper one is hormone free.

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 20:28:16

thank you detox, i assumed they were the same.

its the mirena one ive been told to get. so does it stop you ovulating?

seeyounexttues Mon 02-Nov-09 20:36:16

I've had both. The mirena for 3 years after ds ans now the copper

the mirena was a love hate thing. Loved having no periods but hated the hormonal roller coaster, dp and i almost split up.
Now have a copper coil and don't have any probs. Not sure whether my periods are heavier as i use a moon cup.
Have to say it's been the best form of contraception as you don't have to think about it
hth

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 20:40:36

the hormone bit worries me too, i was very bad while pg with ds2 and would hate to put OH or even the kids through that again.

how does the copper one work? does it just prevent implantation or does it prevent conception?

im sorry for all these question, i just know nothing about either.

goryminx Mon 02-Nov-09 20:49:23

Mamazon your dh must be hung like a horse shock grin

Booooooooooyhoo Mon 02-Nov-09 20:54:37

gory i thought that too but didnt want to say. (ive already lowered the tone on another thread)

Mamazonarocket Mon 02-Nov-09 20:58:36

hahahahaahaaa

Well i shall let him know that its unusual so that he can widen the door frames for huis head to fit through

geordieminx Mon 02-Nov-09 21:03:04

Ach, you can always rely on a geordie to lower the tone (reverts back to pre-halloween name)

electra Mon 02-Nov-09 21:04:59

I had the copper one - worked great until it came out and I conceived straight away! So I now have an unplanned number 3. I loved it while it worked but you do have to check them to make sure they haven't moved.

passthevino Mon 02-Nov-09 21:11:11

Have exactly the same questions myself Boooooooyhoo!

I didn't realise the Mirena was hormonal. I was on the same pill for years and then all of a sudden after my last pregnancy it started making me put on weight, feel sick, basically feel pregnant all the time! I was thinking of the mirena coil but what happens if the hormonal aspect disagrees with you? Are you stuck with it or do they just take it out?

Does it really hurt having it put in? I read another post on here saying that it was agonising!
(Sorry to hijack!)

geordieminx Mon 02-Nov-09 21:17:05

Its uncomfortable to have it put in (I took a couple of paracetamol before hand), but as long as you get someone who knows what they are doing (not the 65+ year old male gynie that tried to remove mine last week) then it shouldnt be too bad. Usually over and done wih pretty quickly.

detoxdiva Tue 03-Nov-09 13:58:49

I guess if you don't get on with it they'll just take it out and you can try the copper one. I've just had mine put in again after ds was born and it will last 10 years shock (although Mr Detox will be getting the snip before then if i have anything to do with it!!)

The copper one works by preventing implantation so technically the egg could get fertilized but it wouldn't be able to implant so you don't get pregnant - I know some people have an issue with it stopping the implanting and not the actual fertilisation, so I guess it comes down to what you're comfortable with.

detoxdiva Tue 03-Nov-09 14:00:16

Oh and it def was not 'agonising' getting it put in (or taken out for that matter) A little uncomfortable at worst.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now