Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Oh FFS, now *I* have headlice. Is it possible to use a nitty gritty on yourself without being double jointed?

(16 Posts)
angelene Mon 02-Nov-09 09:53:00

Oh bloody HELL. blush blush blush

Since DD's last infestation a few weeks back I've been scratching away. DH and my mum (i.e. someone who knows what she's looking for) both checked my hair thoroughly and couldn't find anything, so I assumed that the mental scratchiness had exacerbated my usual dry scalp or something.

Then last night I scratched my head and a bloody louse fell onto my hand! It was dead (or at least not particularly enthusiastic), but I must have an infestation now.

I'm not letting DH anywhere near my hair, he can't even use a brush on DD properly (he's had a grade 1 all over for donkey's years and doesn't really 'get' long hair), so is it possible to nitty grit oneself? When DD has them I just use the comb, but because my skin isn't as sensitive as her's then I'm tempted to get the NG solutions for myself. Do they work on their own or do I need to use the comb too? NB. I am not double-jointed...

Thanks

BulletProofMum Mon 02-Nov-09 09:55:36

DS2 has them and I can't stop scratching. I do empathise. I've keepo combing and combing and I can't find any. I think I'm going to treat myself any way

I have a reall phobia about parasites.

Urgghh

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 02-Nov-09 09:56:31

I'm a teacher so have had this problem many times!! I use one of the 'no resistance' ones and a comb which has always worked well.

Poor you, it's a nasty feeling isn't it?!

lucykate Mon 02-Nov-09 09:57:32

i do mine myself, just sat in the bath and comb, comb and comb. how long is your hair?, mine is a short bob so is quite easy. if yours is long, might be worth just zapping them with some hedrin or other chemical stuff.

Saltire Mon 02-Nov-09 09:58:59

I got them a while ago, and luckily for me DH was able to do a comb through for me, then I added some Hedrin <vile stuff>. I keep getting him to check periodically.

The weird thing is, the Dses never had nits at their last school, yet 2 years in this one and they ahve them regularly, although I know one of Ds1 friends mum never checks her son

angelene Mon 02-Nov-09 10:04:49

lucykate my hair is about shoulder length at the moment, I think I'll do as you suggest actually.

And I'd planned to do some decorating tonight too <sigh>

The chemist round the corner from the office stocks the NG solutions so I'll get some at lunchtime (in heavy disguise, obviously!)

BulletProofMum Mon 02-Nov-09 10:16:27

Which is the best - the pesticvides or the the non-toxic ones?

ParanoidAtAllTimes Mon 02-Nov-09 10:26:22

I've found that lyclear and full mark solution both work well.

lucykate Mon 02-Nov-09 10:31:51

isn't having kids wonderful?, ds started half term with a triple whammy, headlice, threadworms and a verruca!

Hedrin was the only thing that worked on DD.

WowOoo Mon 02-Nov-09 10:35:47

Get yourself in the bath/shower and then you can really get to work on the bastards.

Do it as often as you can.

I had to pull a lot of my fine hair out doing this but it's back to normal now.

Nowtheres4 Mon 02-Nov-09 10:44:19

i do mine once a week with the nitty gritty comb. i do the childrens every sunday evening after baths and then mine when i'm in the shower.
my hair is long, below bra strap level, so i wash my hair, put lots of conditioner on, comb with a normal comb and then with the nitty gritty comb, has added advantage that it takes so long my hair gets a deep conditioning treatment at the same time.

Jux Mon 02-Nov-09 10:57:09

Get Hedrin, then you don't have to worry.

angelene Mon 02-Nov-09 11:57:00

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll go with the full-on nuclear blast of Hedrin.

lucykate Sorry to hear about your DS. I sit opposite a friend of mine who is pg with her first, she has no idea what's in store!

alysonpeaches Mon 02-Nov-09 18:11:02

Something similar happened to me, I wet combed with conditioner, found nothing, DH and mum checked, nothing.

I was faffing about with the nitty gritty comb in the bathroom, and shoved it through my dry hair, and lo and behold a large adult louse came out on it. Im on the Hedrin too.

BulletProofMum Wed 04-Nov-09 15:13:27

Bastards!

I found one in my hair last night. Couldn't sleep with dreams of nit-infestation!

I can't believe I am 37 years old and having to deal with nits.

I have qute long, thick curly hair and an awful lot less of it than when I started.

I found it one of the most distasteful things I have done for a long time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now