Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else get hives on random parts of their body for no aparant reason?

(11 Posts)
IlanaK Sun 01-Nov-09 22:25:42

I am going through hive hell at the moment with them moving from one place to another. I think possibly it is stress related.

I have googled and the only treatment seems to be antihistimines which I have at home anyway for hayfever. They are not working for this. I went to a homeopathic clinic on Saturday and got some little pill things - also not working.

I am contemplating going to the GP tomorow, but realistically what can they do?

cookielove Sun 01-Nov-09 22:29:31

I don't personally, but i look after a little boy that does, he has allergies (what ones we don't know), but his parents don't know to what exactly they just say 'sensitive skin' he randomaly gets hives on different areas on his body, we only worry if gets lots and lots, if not we just keep an eye on it. I think you will prob be just be given antihistimines, which is prob not that helpful

IlanaK Sun 01-Nov-09 22:30:38

Do they bother him? They are driving me insance with the alternating itching and stinging.

liath Sun 01-Nov-09 22:30:57

Dh gets this - chronic urticaria. He takes antihistamines all the time and when it got really bad in the summer took a course of steroids which knocked it on the head for a while. Your GP should be able to prescribe you decent strength antihistamine - DH finds fexofenadine the best. HTH

IlanaK Sun 01-Nov-09 22:35:29

Thanks. Sounds like I need to see the GP. Things are very very bad at the moment so maybe I need steriods to get it under control.

NewLeaseofLife Sun 01-Nov-09 22:37:58

Hi I get these a lot, no idea why! The doctor said that I should be concerned when I start getting them on my neck as you can gt them on the inside of the throat and it can swell. I have had them there a couple of tims but have been fine. I have got used to them now and dont worry about them too much but you should go and see your doctor.

cookielove Sun 01-Nov-09 22:41:19

yes they do bother him, he is very very scratchy, it mainly affects his thighs and torso, whenever he see's skin he scratches, which of course makes them worse, he also gets them on his knees, on both sides. Of course we have no idea what cause them so we can't remove any irritants.

kreecherlivesupstairs Mon 02-Nov-09 08:18:02

I get this and take anti histhamine virtually every day. I've had scratch tests to find out what I am allergic to, but they were hopeless. Maybe because I had them done in Bangkok and the allergens were fakewink. I have learned to live with it, annoying as it is it isn't life limiting.

shineoncrazyfirecracker Mon 02-Nov-09 09:08:08

Message withdrawn

IlanaK Mon 02-Nov-09 20:07:33

Thanks everyone. I have been taking antihistimines daily and they have not prevented this.

The GP today gave me Phenergen (spell?) to make me very drowsy at night to help me sleep, a steroid cream, and aqueous cream.

Arabica Mon 02-Nov-09 23:05:26

Hi, I have something similar and told my GP I thought it was chronic urticaria--but he said that because the spots stay around for more than a day, it's more likely to be a form of eczema and has prescribed a steroid cream to apply as well as antihistamines. This seems to be making a difference. HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now