Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

asthma question

(8 Posts)
MrsWood Thu 16-Jun-05 07:22:58

I've had a really bad case of hayfever since I hit puberty - I'm also allergic to feathers, and some foods which don't seem to be the problem so much anymore - I can tolerate them well. I take medication (clarityn etc.) whenever it gets bad - I don't tend to use it every day as my hayfever is bad all year around I don't want to be medicated for all that period. I can cope quite well with sneezing and coughing - as many hayfever sufferers, you just learn to. My problem is this: lately I've had quite bad attacks of wheezing and being unable to breathe properly - my lungs and chest feel really tight. This attack would last around 30-45 mins. where I'd be coughing and wheezing all the time. I've made an appointment to see my gp, however, it's next week - can someone in the meantime tell me if I might be asthmatic or is asthma attack bit different? Can you get inhalers over the counter or do you need prescription? Thanks

Fran1 Thu 16-Jun-05 07:32:49

You do need prescription for inhalers.

It does sound similar to asthma what you describe and as i'm sure you know all these things are linked and it is common for hayfever allergens to trigger asthma.

What you may find is that a doctor won't diagnose this as actual asthma, although will give you the same treatments. Because there is no test for asthma they wait to see if you have any more problems before diagnosing.

Arabica Thu 16-Jun-05 19:45:49

Hi MrsW, I have hayfever/eczema/asthma, which are all replated conditions, as you probably know. Wheezing and chest-tightness sounds like asthma and if you are ever having breathing problems, you MUST seek medical attention straightaway; don't wait until your GP appt, call NHS direct or your local hospital's A&E dept. I've been in hospital with a serious asthma attack a few times now, and without wishing to freak you out, things can escalate rapidly; and believe me, you don't want to have to go through it! Good luck.

Twiglett Thu 16-Jun-05 19:47:52

can you sleep at night - because asthma tends to be worse at night in the early hours

inhalers are definitely prescription only

if worried go into gp surgery, walk up to receptionist, wheeze at her and tell her you can't breathe - believe me, you WILL get seen very quickly

MrsWood Thu 16-Jun-05 23:05:16

I can sleep at night (providing I haven't been laughing or walking fast or anything that would leave me wheezing before bedtime) - it usually starts in the morning when sun hits my bedroom window - it seems all my buds "wake up" or something and before it was just runny nose which would stop after 20 mins. but now it's violent coughing which often makes me feel sick, and wheezing with tickly throat - I can inhale but can't exhale basically, and then I'm left fighting for breath.

strugstu Thu 16-Jun-05 23:24:17

suffer with this myself- u absolutely cannot wait till next week, particularly as its hayfever season and many asthmatics will feel worse, a prolonged exacerbation (which is what ur suffering now)will leave u extremley vulnerable to an acute attack- which can be dangerous. get urself an emergency gp appt or go to walk in center or ur local A&E whilst ur wheezy- they will prescribe a 'reliever' probably ventolin (salbutamol) which will open up ur airways a bit and relieve ur wheeze and then a 'preventer' to prevent the inflammation of ur airways.
dont want to frighten u but this can be dealt with so easily at this stage- where as if u collapse that is a different matter...

morocco Thu 16-Jun-05 23:33:20

there are other things it could be but I'd get it checked asap to be on the safe side - sounds horrible

MrsWood Fri 24-Jun-05 19:33:30

Right, an update - went to the doctors and she did some lung capacity test which showed quite low, so I was given 2 inhalers - one blue and one brown. I'm just glad it was what I thought and nothing too serious - for a moment I thought I might be having some heart problems!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now