Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

really scared of EMG test

(10 Posts)
keresley Sun 01-Nov-09 17:51:14

Has anyone had an EMG test. I am so scared about the procedure.Please let me know how bad it is and what to expect. Thanks

WobblyPig Sun 01-Nov-09 18:47:01

What's it for. Quicker than you might think but not pleasant. Over and done with quickly in most cases although depends on why it's being done.

keresley Sun 01-Nov-09 19:39:28

I've got numbness down the whole left side of my body. How strong is the electric shock?

keresley Sun 01-Nov-09 21:11:47

bump

FangedGhoulForTheMonstrosities Sun 01-Nov-09 21:17:59

i've had it,it was nowhere near as bad as i'd expected,was fine really,honestly. smile

keresley Sun 01-Nov-09 21:27:16

fangedghoul -how long is each shock for? Is it a quick couple of seconds or more prolonged. Did you have any sedatives beforehand?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Nov-09 21:43:59

much much better than I thought it would be. It was exactly like some one snapping an elastic band gently. Each shock is milli seconds. Not painful and not at all like accidently leaning across an electric fence or accidently touching live pin on a plug. (accident prone)

keresley Sun 01-Nov-09 21:49:15

It's good to hear from others that have had it done. I am just so scared of this. Sounds so barbaric when you read up about it!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 01-Nov-09 21:54:56

The main thing is, just to really relax and go with it so that they get clear signals. I honestly think its one of the least bad medical tests I've had.

FangedGhoulForTheMonstrosities Mon 02-Nov-09 06:58:50

If you have ever used a TENS machine, it feels just like if you turn it up SLIGHTLY high, like a sharp prickling, doesn't last long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now