Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Abnormal smear result having been treated previously for abnormalities?

(8 Posts)
magnummum Sun 01-Nov-09 14:04:02

I was treated successfully with LLETZ 5 years ago when routine smear turned up CIN2 cells. Annual smears have all been normal since until I got most recent result yesterday which has shown abnormal cells and have to have repeat smear next month. Just wondering if anyone has any experience of having had a second lot of treatment. Feel really anxious this time round (my aunt died of cervical cancer when she was 36 and I'm now 35 so that is always at the back of my mind.). I was very confident with the treatment I had previously but was reassured at the time that it was unlikely to recur. Any advice/ others' experience welcomed.

Meglet Sun 01-Nov-09 14:08:59

I had cells removed twice 5 years ago. Had 2 babies inbetween. Then CIN3 at the start of this year and as I wasn't planning any more DC's I happily agreed to a hysterectomy (womb & cervix gone, ovaries still in). It sounds drastic, and the op is hard going, but after 6 years of worry it's bliss not having my pesky cervix causing problems anymore.

Has your consultant suggested the next step?

magnummum Sun 01-Nov-09 15:24:45

I know what you mean about the worry - I'd rather just get on with a possibly more radical treatment if appropriate now than going through this every few years. (now have 3dcs and not planning more).

The other reason I'm a bit more anxious than I might be is that we are in the process of trying to move house so the likelyhood is I'll have my repeat smear here just before Xmas and then be moving just as I get the results - not overly chuffed with the idea of being transferred to new PCT/trust and notes going awol but maybe that's me being cynical hmm.

This is all going on via my GP surgery - not sure at what stage I'd be referred back to my old consultant or whether it is worth trying to ring/see him just to talk things through?

rabbitstew Sun 01-Nov-09 19:26:42

I'd have at least 2 treatments before I went for anything more radical, unless your doctor suggested otherwise. It has, after all, taken 5 years for the abnormal cells to come back, and the problem with a hysterectomy is that you are then likely to have a very early menopause, even if they do leave your ovaries behind, and the earlier your menopause the greater your risk of earlier onset osteoporosis, and more decisions, earlier on, to be made about HRT, etc, so it really isn't a simple decision. I'd rather have a further treatment and if the abnormality returned yet again, then take the more radical decision, having delayed that choice by a few more years, with any luck. After all, you can afford to have tonnes of your cervix taken out if you don't need it to support babies in your uterus any more, you can even have pretty much all of it removed without removing your uterus. And besides which, whilst the cervix is the most likely place for HPV-related cancer to develop, so removing your cervix does reduce the risk by a very large amount, the same type of cancer (ie caused by HPV, which is overwhelmingly the main cause of cervical cancer) can also develop in the vagina and vulva, and you would not be eliminating that (albeit small)risk by having a hysterectomy.

HOWEVER, NB I am not a doctor, so I would add it's probably best to follow your doctor's advice/your own opinion on what will give you most reassurance and my opinion is just a personal, layperson's opinion.

rabbitstew Sun 01-Nov-09 19:31:21

ps I was informed by my doctor that you can have lost of LLETZ treatments on your cervix before it is no longer viable to treat it that way. I've had 2, one for CIN3 and the other turned out to have been unnecessary...

magnummum Sun 01-Nov-09 19:56:57

Thanks Rabbit you've made some very good points. Dare say I'll get my head together in the next few days!

BelaLugosiNoir Sun 01-Nov-09 20:15:58

Hi, I work in a screening lab, so I know some stuff about this area but I am not a medic so bear that in mind!
There were a few questions, so hopefully I've covered them.
When you register at the new GP after you;ve moved (if you're moving within England) then the results will get transferred automatically, there is a separate system (called Open Exeter) which the cervical screening results go onto. If the result means that you would need to go back to colposcopy then a card is sent by the screening office to your GP to flag that you need referred.
Depending on what the latest result showed (borderline or mild dyskaryosis?) then you may well be referred back to colposcopy if the follow up test is also a low grade abnormality.
You can see your GP and ask to be referred to colposcopy if you're anxious.
The possibility of more radical treatment such as hysterectomy. It depends a bit on what is going on - the next result may be negative. Some gynaecologists are more likely to agree to a hyst than others. The operation obviously has associated risks. Rabbit makes some good point as you've said.

Meglet Sun 01-Nov-09 20:17:39

just to add that the two LLETZ I had a few years ago had to take big chunks of my cervix out and left it very scarred and distorted, it wouldn't let period blood out very well (I used to have shocking pain) and would not dilate during labour (hello em cs!). Hence the reason my consultant was reluctant to do another LLETZ this year, he wasn't confident he could get all the 'nasty' bits out and not leave anything behind. I daresay if your cervix is still in good shape after LLETZ your consultant may well be happy to take a bit more out.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: