Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Changed pill from Microgynon to Cilest - what affect will more progestogen have?

(6 Posts)
CheeeseOnToast Sat 31-Oct-09 18:53:02

I have had about four months of spotting and light bleeding from about half way through the pill pack until my 'period'. After ruling out other factors (smears up to date etc) my GP changed my pill from Microgynon 30 to Cilest last week. I've taken the first pill of Cilest today and just reading up on the leaflet, I thought I'd compare the active ingredients.

Each Microgynon pill contains 150mg of levonorgestrel (progestogen) and 30mg of ethinylestradiol (oestrogen)

...and the Cilest has 250mg of norgestimate (progestogen) and 35mg of ethinylestradiol (oestrogen).

Anyone still reading (blush) - am I likely to feel different, on a considerable higher dose of progestogen?

It seems a lot stronger, it even says that if I forget the Cilest for a couple of days it won't matter, whereas just one day without the Microgynon requires 'extra precautiuons'.

Anyone got any experience in this? Will it make my PMT worse!?

Thanks if you got this far... sorry, its a bit boring sad

CheeeseOnToast Sat 31-Oct-09 18:56:25

hmmm. I seem to have made that bit up, about if you forget for 2-3 days on Cilest it doesn't matter. Not quite sure where I read that... hmm but apparently not in this leaflet. It says the same as the other one - 12 hours ago or less dont worry, 12 hours or more, worry.

Doh.

CheeeseOnToast Sat 31-Oct-09 22:30:48

anyone?

SixtyFootGhoul Sat 31-Oct-09 22:33:44

I didnt get on with cileste gave me headaches, only lasted a few days on it, sorry,

Mousey84 Sat 31-Oct-09 22:46:22

Sorry - I was on celeste because of bad period pain but it made me feel awful. I said to nurse and she said she had never heard of it making anyone ill and to stick with it. I spoke to another nurse switched to microgynon and never looked back. I have since heard from several friends who tried celeste and couldnt stomach it.

However, unless it makes you feel rubbish, stick with it and see how you feel - different things work for different people.

Singed Sat 31-Oct-09 23:21:26

You can't compare directly the progesterone levels as they are 2 different progestogens (norgestimate and levonorgestrel) so the doses aren't immediately comparable. It shouldn't make your PMT worse but if you notice unpleasant side effects after taking 2-3 packets then let your doc know and you can try another pill.

I imagine your doc has changed your pill hoping that the slight increase in oestrogen from 30-35 mcg will stop the spotting you were having.

And definitely don't risk forgetting either pill for more than 12 hours with no action!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now