Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any ideas on what this health problem is?

(7 Posts)
Cluckyagain Sat 31-Oct-09 16:42:14

Hi all - apologies for the length!!

Please could anybody give me (or my Mum!)some advice on this problem might be. I should say that she has already been to the GP but that he's a bit baffled - she is going back though as the symptoms are getting worse.

She is 73, a bit overweight (and with very mild angina type history) but essentially healthy - not frail at all, plays golf regularly and picks up my heffalump of a 4 yr hold without too much trouble. She has daily jaw and ear pain and whenever anything even vaguely 'stressful' happens (such as a mildly annoying cold call on the phone) she gets hot, claustrophobic feelings, gets very dizzy and very faint, short of air and has palpitations. She has always been a bit 'nervous' and has put a few of the symptoms down to that....in a panic attack kind of way, but on Saturday she was cleaning her teeth with no stress whatsoever and suddently felt so faint that she sat dawn and promptly passed out. The symptoms are worse when she is tired and she is tiring out much more easily than she used to. She has considered that she may just be getting old and that she should expect to feel worse but on asking other 70 odd friends, she is the only one feeling rotten. She now feels actively ill. The GP has tested her for a condition associated with jaw pain but the test was negative, although I think she may ask for the test again as the jaw pain is also worse. She is seeing the dentist to get an xray in case it is teeth related but past that she is clueless. Any suggestions - she is getting more and more depressed about it as it's been going on for a year now. TIA xxx

Cluckyagain Sat 31-Oct-09 16:47:09

bump

Cluckyagain Sat 31-Oct-09 17:04:04

Anyone?

HeadFairy Sat 31-Oct-09 17:06:53

One thing just occured to me about this... does she have a history of migraines? My mum had some kind of scan (can't remember if it was MRI or CAT) but I know they were looking for strange blood flows through the neck and jaw as these can often be a trigger for migraines. You don't have to have a headache to have a migraine, sometimes visual disturbances or lights can be all you get. Does she have anything like that? Sounds to me like she needs to be referred to a neurologist.

Frrrightattendant Sat 31-Oct-09 17:12:00

I was going to suggest Trigeminal neuralgia but sounds like that's what he tested for.

Teeth grinding can also make your jaw hurt and might contribute to the other problems...I mean, she might be very stressed, and that could cause the whole cycle of it iyswim.

Sorry - it must be awful for her to be in pain and so worried.

purplepeony Sat 31-Oct-09 17:15:47

Don't want to alarm you but it could be her angina- jaw pain which can go as far as the ear is a known symptom of a heart attack. If this happens when you mum is stressed, and she gets breathless, then it needs to be investigated properly.

If I were you I'd ask for a referral to a cardiologist to reassess her circulation and angina meds.

Cluckyagain Sat 31-Oct-09 17:47:38

Thanks all - some really good suggestions. I will look up trigeminal neuralgia as I don't remember it being called that...

Cxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now