Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ulcerated tonsils

(3 Posts)
TettyLouBar Sat 31-Oct-09 09:54:12

Hi there,

I have always suffered from mouth ulcers for as long as I can remember and have had much success with Adcortyl paste etc.
But since sunday I have developed 4-5 large ulcers on my tonsils! The pain is unbearable.
sad
I have been to Dr's yesterday and she looked puzzled and prescribed my antibiotics. (I am a nurse and am convinced its not a bacterial infection) Ive looked around on the net and the general opinion is that these ulcers are either caused by stress/viral/candida.

Anybody out there had success with treating these? I'm very tired, havent eaten properly in nearly 4 days and feel rotten sad

Davidsmom Sat 31-Oct-09 21:47:37

Hi,

I had a recent virus which is doing the rounds leaving me with ulcerated tonsils and throat which was absolutely dreadful. I am BF'g a non sleeping 8 month old which probably contributed re stress etc. I dont get recurrent ulcers though thankfully!

I got Lidocaine spray (Boots own, not sure if others do it but is an OTC medication) which was a lifesaver but Difflam spray or mouthwash is also good.

Recurrent mouth ulcers also known as Recurrent aphthous ulcers/stomatitis or canker sores (if you want to google) are really common 20% of the population have them. Things which can contribute to severity (occasionally cure but unlikely if you've always had them are: Anaemia +/-Iron, B12 or folate deficiencies. Also several medical conditions are associated such as coeliac disease and inflammatory bowel diseases.

Hope this helps a bit- you have my sympathy.

Davidsmom Sat 31-Oct-09 21:49:28

PS Unlikely caused by bacterial infection although both candida and bacteria can infect an ulcer already present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now