Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

tobacco and alcohol

(8 Posts)
3littlefrogs Fri 30-Oct-09 17:41:00

If tobacco and alcohol were discovered/invented today, how do you think the government would classify them?

Ladyanonymous Fri 30-Oct-09 18:05:51

Alcohol would be an A, Tobacco probably a B.

In a NICE study carried out it tested all drugs, including illegal, pharmaceutical and legal drugs like alcohol.

Alcohol came out as the 4th most toxic, dangerous drug out of the whole lot. Heroin was top.

ArrghnBoooeee Fri 30-Oct-09 18:09:02

here

Ladyanonymous Fri 30-Oct-09 18:11:18

www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200506/cmselect/cmsctech/1031/1031.pdf

Government Study above...

Nice Study here...sorry alcohol was 5th....

www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/drugs-the-real-deal-410086.html

3littlefrogs Fri 30-Oct-09 18:55:46

I am genuinely interested in people's views. I loathe cannabis, because I know so many kids for whom it has caused them to simply waste their lives, but tbh, alcohol seems to be the cause of so much mayhem and damage amongst young people.

Surely the biggest problem with all illegal drugs is the level of crime associated with them? Is there an argument for legalisation in tandem with clinics, registration etc?

Much as I hate cannabis, my gut feeling is that alcohol is worse. Yet, it is acceptable, not least because it is a revenue raiser.

I will read the links you have posted. Thank you.

Also - I can't understand why the uk can't agree to purchase the entire production of heroin from afganistan - there is a shortage of the drug for use in the NHS AFAIK?

If we could eliminate the crime, would that not be a start?

Jux Sat 31-Oct-09 16:16:22

Quite agree. It's the obvious 'solution' really. Make the whole bloody lot legal and oversee their use as is done with alcohol and fags. You immediately get rid of the criminal element, you get quality assurance, and you raise revenue. Seems a no-brainer to me.

Ladyanonymous Sun 01-Nov-09 10:35:43

Apart from the public outcry, and the people who are already addicted to the illegal drugs...???

Do you know how few beds are available for addicts for detox in mental health units??

Very simplistic/idealistic answer to an extremely complex issue.

The government don't actually want us to stop drinking/smoking if they did they would have stopped us years ago.

Ivykaty44 Sun 01-Nov-09 19:41:00

Also - I can't understand why the uk can't agree to purchase the entire production of heroin from afganistan

Because then they would grow more - supply and demand.

The goverement this one or any other, will want to slowly wean themselves from the tax that these legal drugs create for them in revenue. The goverment couldn't tax and legalise the other drugs as it would lose them votes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now