Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

dd as Borderline smear test results should i be worried?

(3 Posts)
Psychotrace2 Fri 30-Oct-09 17:36:52

dd 25 as just told me her resluts and she dont seem worried and as to go back in may next year for an other smear test. i feel worried dd says its nothing.

BelaLugosiNoir Fri 30-Oct-09 20:41:19

Hi
What we report in the lab as borderline changes can be caused by quite a few things such as infections (e.g. thrush/candida), use of IUCD or IUD, hormonal changes caused by depo, post-natal or post-menopausal status.
Borderline changes does happen more often in younger women as their bodies are still changing after puberty.
It may also due to HPV infection which most women at some point in their lives will have had and cleared.
I'm not saying that is what has caused your DD's result - obviously because I haven't seen the sample. There is overlap between the changes seen in the nucleus of the cell due to things like infection which make the cells active and abnormality which is also really active cells. This is why sometimes you get asked to come back as a precaution.

The NHS Cervical Screening programme has a website here which has some useful info. Your DD should have got a result letter which would have information leaflets about what the test result means. So its good she's not worried but she should go back when sent her follow up appointment in 6 months.
HTH

Psychotrace2 Sat 31-Oct-09 09:06:19

thank you so much and yes it makes sense now shes had a little bleeding in between and she thinks shes had a water infection because as not long before the test for two weeks dd felt like she needed to wee all night long, didnt hurt just not comfortable ( she wont go to gp) so took cranberry juice , and she seems ok now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now