Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Impacted canine tooth

(16 Posts)
BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Oct-09 01:04:51

OK so we have always been amazingly proud of DDs (13)amazingly straight teeth. All her friends have been to the orthadontist and had braces gleaming in lurid colours from their teeth from year 6 onwards.

"Oh no she'll never need braces, straightest teeth I've ever seen!" claimed the dentist.

Oh hang on, she still has a baby canine, I'll just xray.

Turns out her adult canine is in her palate and would never make its way into the correct place.

Orthadontist told us yesterday that there is a very simple proceddure to take out the baby tooth, attach a chain to the adult tooth and pull it into position.

Lovely, except there is not enough room for the tooth to fit in the gap where her baby tooth is so all her top teeth will need to be pulled back to make room using a head brace for at least 6 months (thankfully when she is in bedor at very least when she is at home) Oh and so that her bottom teeth will fit with the top teeth and not be ground down, they will need a brace too.

6 months after the torture device in bed she will need a small op to get the baby tooth out and release the canine from her palate it will then take 2 years of braces to pull it into place!

Apparently this is a not uncommon occurance.

The orthodontist put no pressure on her to have it done stating that her was presently treating a 45 year old who had a baby canine that had finally crumbled.

After an intitial "No way!" from DD (who I secretly agreed with) she has come round to the idea and is now begging me to call back the orthadontist to set it all up!

Anyone have any experience with this.

It seems such a palaver for one tooth!

jabberwocky Fri 30-Oct-09 01:24:53

exH was a pediatric dentist. From what I remember in discussions with him I would say do it sooner rather than later. Her other teeth will be much more malleable now and therefore a slightly less painful process. And IIRC, an impacted tooth can cause some other problems if not corrected.

Lionstar Fri 30-Oct-09 01:30:37

I'm 37 and have 2 baby teeth still. The adult teeth are still in the gum, sideways across the top of the other teeth - looks really wierd on x-ray. Dentist just takes the odd x-ray to check on them (look for abcess etc), all looks fine so far. No way would I go through that sort of procedure. I do make extra sure of looking after my teeth though.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Oct-09 01:37:49

That's exactly how I feel but DD says- "all my friends have braces now- so I won't be teased and I don't want a false tooth when I am older or braces as an adult." She is really prepared to put up with the head gear

"So what? It's only 6 months!" says she.(This from the child who faints at the sight of a needle- I'm strangely proud of her!)

Some of my friends have opted for braces as adults and they have really struggled, much more so than lots of teens I have known.

It's really her decision.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Oct-09 11:09:29

bumping for any other experiences

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Oct-09 11:39:34

anyone?

jabberwocky Fri 30-Oct-09 12:15:40

I think your dd has it right. I really would go for it now.

BrigitBigKnickers Fri 30-Oct-09 18:49:14

One more bump

CarGirl Fri 30-Oct-09 18:50:46

yes go for it now!

Laine4kids Fri 30-Oct-09 18:57:58

we are waiting to see if dd1 missing canine will make its own way down atm.she had her baby canines out in may as xray showed they were not advancing as they should(the permanant noes).One has appeared beautifully,the other hasn't.If it doesn't arrive by march,she'll need the little chain and bracket to bring it down.She also need a fixed brace at some point. she's 12.
My view is try to get it right now but I wish she didn't have to do all this.

moshie Fri 30-Oct-09 19:08:38

DD had the chains to pull the teeth down (both sides) but didn't need the head brace first.
She was 16 at the time, one tooth came down slowly so she ended up with a brace for three years instead of the two that she was told. Not a happy bunny, it was such a relief when it finally came off.
She refused the brace on her bottom teeth though - "No way!" - and she has such a beautiful smile now that she's glad she had it done.

Davidsmom Sat 31-Oct-09 22:16:46

Do it.

Am 40 and still have my baby canine. Unfortunately my dentist was rubbish and didnt notice when I was young and something could be done about it.

Baby tooth has been getting looser and options to replace it not great for a number of reasons.

Will be a a long job but well worth it in the end.

Merrylegs Sat 31-Oct-09 22:36:55

Ooh - interesting dilemma. I had just this situation when I was 14 - a canine in the palate. I was having orthodontic treatment anyway as my teeth were really goofy (years of thumb sucking -oops) so the orthodontist said he may as well do the op to bring down the tooth as he was making my smile perfect.

It was 20 years ago and I still remember the op and the pain and the revolting spongey mush of stitches in the roof of my mouth. It was a really miserable time. And I have a very high pain threshold. The braces themselves were OK, and TBH, no one would notice whether I had matching canines, so I do wonder if it was worth it. I know if it were my child I would probably not put them through it. (Although I am all for fixed braces if your teeth are wonky.)

Apparently impacted canine teeth are hereditary. My grandmother had the same and had nothing done about it and had no problems with her teeth in later life.

Just some things to think about....

happybunch Mon 10-Jul-17 16:31:25

Can you tell me if you went ahead with this treatment for your daughter? My daughter is 13 and has just had the operation to expose her canines. Wondering how long it took for your daughter's teeth to come down 😞

bimbobaggins Mon 10-Jul-17 18:06:54

Hi happy, this thread is 8 years old, you may get better responses starting your own

livefrommysofa Mon 10-Jul-17 18:54:15

Whilst she is under 18 it will be free on the NHS, if she decides when she is an adult to correct it the treatment will cost thousands.

It's a relatively minor procedure to expose a canine and 2 years of ortho treatment if nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now