Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long should a cough last, as this one is driving me CRAZY!!!!

(16 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 29-Oct-09 21:03:32

I have had a horrible cough for just over two weeks now. I'm FED UP coughing.
How long does a cough last and please tell me your top tips to stop me hacking up my lung!

Ewe Thu 29-Oct-09 21:05:27

I want to know too. I had swine flu, then a chest infection and have had cough for what feels like forever. I almost choked on a big bit of phlegm this morning <bleurgh> TMI, sorry.

I want mine!

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 29-Oct-09 21:06:30

Oh no, poor you! Sounds like you have been through the mill!!

nowwearefour Thu 29-Oct-09 21:07:10

if the phlegm is green might be worth seeing gp. but i was told it can take up to 5 weeks to shift a viral cough. turns out i waited 6 weeks then had an x ray and i had had a chest infection all that time. so annoying though i know. poor poor you

Phoenix Thu 29-Oct-09 21:11:32

I've had mine 3weeks so far hmm. It's not as bad but still getting on my bloody nerves.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 29-Oct-09 21:15:56

People are getting pissy at me at work for the constant coughing.
I am all gunky when coughing and it is a spectacular shade of green. And I have that annoying wheezy noise when breathing now.
I haven't wanted to go to the docs because it will go one of two ways:

1) "Elfonthetopshelf, there are really poorly people, stop wasting our time"
or
2) "elfonthetopshelf, there is nothing wrong with you, I think you are anxious/stressed/depressed - do you have worries?"

my last few appointments have gone one of those ways - I think one particular doc is convinced I'm depressed.

Ewe Thu 29-Oct-09 21:18:23

Wheezy is not good Elf! You probably need some antibiotics. Maybe request a different doc and proceed to cough all over them?

I've already had one course so don't see the point in going back. The thought of another three weeks is depressing though!

Maybe we should all take it in turns to try different cough mixtures grin

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 29-Oct-09 21:20:45

I have just googled and apparently chocolate is good for a cough grin

I'll ring the docs. I have not long finished a course of anti-biotics for a throat infection. Bummer.

ReneRusso Thu 29-Oct-09 21:28:06

You should probably go to the doc, but I know what you mean. Doesn't matter what I go to the doc for, sore toe, earache, contraception, they always think I'm stressed or depressed hmm. Do you drink peppermint tea? I think it helps with a cough.

Ewe Thu 29-Oct-09 21:30:07

Chocolate? Works for me! That can be our first 'medical trial' grin

Maybe you two should buy a t-shirt like this for GP visits? That'll teach 'em!

Ponders Thu 29-Oct-09 21:30:31

I was off work for 3 weeks last winter with a variety of ailments including a long-term cough. Was prescribed amoxil, which did nothing, but then different GP gave me erythromycin which worked like a charm.

So IMO you should see GP & ask for that grin

Ewe Thu 29-Oct-09 21:32:05

Some of these natural remedies sound hideous. Anyone want to try the gargling with warm spinach juice and report back?

ElfOnTheTopShelf Thu 29-Oct-09 21:35:21

DH's step dad insists the best treatment for a cold/flu is the minute you feel a bit poorly, have a hot bath with mustard powder. He swears by it!

thereistheball Fri 30-Oct-09 07:54:33

I've just been given Acétylcystéine (in France, not sure what UK name is) for a bad cough, which is helping a lot. It's a powder that you stir into water and it has a sweet orange flavour. I take it 3 times a day along with vitamins and a cold remedy. French drugs are marvellous.

purplepeony Fri 30-Oct-09 08:54:19

Some coughs can last 2-3 months- sorry!

If it is productive- green phlegm, then see your dr re. chest infection.

If not, the inhaling with steam and Friar's Balsam can help, or honey and lemon in hot water.

asteroids Tue 03-Nov-09 17:32:28

I had a cough for months. I would have coughing fits lasting up to 6 hours, couldn't eat, sleep etc. Doc kept giving me antibiotics and cough medicine. Eventually got diagnosed with asthma and given inhalers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now