Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

(Warning: TMI): Weird bug - presenting like Giardia in Dh but not rest of us

(13 Posts)
sphil Thu 29-Oct-09 17:22:09

DS2 - vomited three times on Friday and developed pinprick rash on face which has gradually faded. Lost appetite for a few days, fine now. No diarrohea.
DS1 - violently sick (projectile)x 6 on Tuesday/Wednesday. Recovering today - has kept food down. No diarrohea
Me - felt very very sick all day yesterday, spent day in bed but now fine. No diarrohea.
DH - started diarrohea last night and hasn't stopped yet. Eggy burps, stomach cramps and one episode of vomiting.

DH is by far the worst affected of all of us. I am starting to get worried about him and when I googled his symptoms (fatal I know) I found Giardia. DS2 (who is autistic) has a horrible habit of drinking swimming pool water - he goes swimming every Friday with school - and this is one of the ways it is transmitted.

But if it was Giardia, would it have affected us all in such different ways? Could a 'normal' stomach bug cause such symptoms?

wheredidiputit Thu 29-Oct-09 17:27:51

It sounds like the bug we had a few weeks ago.

Dd2 sick once
Dd1 sick for 24hrs
ds nothing
me sickness and diarrohea for 12 o=hrs.
dh Diarrohea for 2 days.

Hope you get better soon

sphil Thu 29-Oct-09 17:51:55

Thanks - I really want it just to be an ordinary bug!

Anyone any experience of the sulphurous burps? [grimace emoticon]

ThisPhantomPlopsPumpkins Thu 29-Oct-09 19:28:03

Egg burps are common in D&V bugs, usually the first sign something is brewing in this house.

kreecherlivesupstairs Thu 29-Oct-09 20:18:52

Our dd had giardia three times when we lived in Oman. Hate to break it to you, the only way it can be diagnosed (according to the doctor we saw) was stool specimin and thatis not always conclusive. She rid herself of the first two lots pretty easily (hospital admission and iv antibiotics), but the third episode never resolved itself fully for two years. Go to the doctor with a pot of poo and stop googling.

theyoungvisiter Thu 29-Oct-09 20:23:14

don't worry - there is something going the rounds. Most of my mates and kids have had it.

In our house it was as follows -

DS2 - vomiting every night for a week plus horrid diarrhoea
DS1 - one chuck up, no d, no other symptoms
DH - felt a bit knackered and iffy but no other symptoms
Me - continous D&V for 12 hours, then fine.

No sulphurous burps this time but it has happened with previous sick bugs. I think it's a sign that your stomach flora is upset, we always sort it with live yoghurt or probiotic tablets, which seem to help.

littleducks Thu 29-Oct-09 20:31:26

oh god, we all have that, very windy (burps and eerm otherwise) had it a few weeks ago and appears to be back, was wondering wtf it could be

dare i google giardia uuum not sure

sphil Thu 29-Oct-09 21:23:25

I just think if it was giardia we'd all have diarrhoea - wouldn't we?[hopeful emoticon]

littleducks Fri 30-Oct-09 12:33:14

well we have all traipsed to drs, who has sent us home with no medicine but lots and lots of sample bottles despite it saying on nhs website that as test are hard to do it is better to treat based on symptoms hmm

dh is going later to see diff dr will see what they say about him

sphil Fri 30-Oct-09 15:29:55

DH better today, though still pasty. Has lost half a stone in the last 36 hours! Thanks to all for advice and hope those of you who are ill get better soon. I am busy Dettoxing...

littleducks Fri 30-Oct-09 15:39:17

if it comes back with avengence in a week or two(did with us) send him to drs immediayely but hope that it won't

bamboo Fri 30-Oct-09 15:43:19

We've had this, it's vile, isn't it? Kids not so badly affected. I've not felt this rough for a long time, though. Luckily sil is picking up the two older ones from school and giving them their tea. ds2 (asleep now) has been plonked in front of cbeebies for the last 4 days sad.

Frrrightattendant Fri 30-Oct-09 15:53:45

It sounds like a normal bug really...me and ds2 both had the vomiting thing for one night each, then Okish. Ds1 escaped.

Might have been food poisoning though for us.

Hope you are all better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now