Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

i took one dose of antibiotics - do i still have to finish the course?

(8 Posts)
pofacedandproud Thu 29-Oct-09 15:10:52

Was diagnosed with bronchitis yesterday, ironically just as it was on its way out, after two bad weeks. Felt much better yesterday and today, but then thought, oh well, will take the antibiotics prescribed just in case. I took one. Yes, I know you should always finish course but just think I shouldn't have started them now, the bronchitis has almost disappeared. Do I still have to finish bloody course as I have taken one tablet? Medical experts out there?

pofacedandproud Thu 29-Oct-09 15:11:38

Also apparently 90% of bronchitis is viral, so feel shouldn't have been prescribed them anyway.

Frrrightattendant Thu 29-Oct-09 15:16:47

No. Quit them now and see how you go. If you start to feel worse again in next few days, start and finish the course then.

HTH - have done this on advice of HCPs a few times!

Frrrightattendant Thu 29-Oct-09 15:17:37

Basically it will have done very little taking one tablet, especially if viral. It's not going to cause major resistance.

pofacedandproud Thu 29-Oct-09 15:19:09

Hope that's the case! Thanks FR. Am waiting for doc to call to ask, but I guess they'll tell me to finish the course.

Beeny1980 Thu 29-Oct-09 15:32:21

I've always been told to finish the course as there could always be a few nasties hanging around you may not be aware of which could copntribute to a 'relapse'. Keep taking them until a doc tells you otherwise...

Good luck

Frrrightattendant Thu 29-Oct-09 16:06:22

Oh well let me know...I've done this a few times and always been advised that one tablet isn't really going to make a huge difference and just to go without unless you do get worse. They wouldn't even have kicked in yet so you are getting better by yourself. No point adding anything else to the equation, it just contributes to your general unwellness taking antibiotics, unless they are necessary.

Had you taken say 4 or 5 I'd prob say keep going, but one tablet I wouldn't.

pofacedandproud Thu 29-Oct-09 16:24:09

Well doc said as it was only one tablet should be ok to stop - so think will stop. If I had taken more I would have done course, but have been getting steadily better over last 2 days after 2 horrendous weeks. Saying that the children are getting over suspected SF and I now have a sre throat so probably going to get ill again. AAAAAargh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now