Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Getting your tubes tied: Is it a major op?

(10 Posts)
alibobble Wed 28-Oct-09 20:02:39

Hi thinking of getting my tubes tied as dh not fancying getting the snip as he's quite a bit younger than me. Heard they do it by keyhole but no idea how major that is. How long does it take to recover? Any experiences welcome.

hannahsaunt Wed 28-Oct-09 20:13:43

No idea but I shall watch with interest. I would like mine cut, tied and generally rendered beyond all use next year smile

CarGirl Wed 28-Oct-09 20:16:15

I read a post on here last week I think, the long term success rate seems to be very low, like 1 in 200 ops are unsuccesful!!!!

I'm back to nagging encourage dh to get the snip.

kitsmummy Wed 28-Oct-09 20:23:58

My mum had it done and recovered very well. She then had my sister 3 years later...!

Milliways Wed 28-Oct-09 21:07:59

You are in & out same day, but get signed off for a week as had a General Anaesthetic. Your shoulders ache! (gas). I felt terrible day one (but others were fine) and groggy day 2, then fine - just a little tender around the stitches. (You have 2 stitches, 1 in tummy button & the other in the bikini line).

I had no problems after, and no more DCs!

hormonstersnomore Wed 28-Oct-09 21:15:42

I've had it done & had no problems (or children!) after it. Was out the same day but very sore due to gas all over abdomen - and shoulders strangely. Just took strong painkillers for a couple of days & rested. Back to normal in less than a week. I wanted to have it done rather than ex-h as I wanted to take control of my fertility & definitely didn't want any more children. I'd recommend it.

Oblomov Thu 29-Oct-09 20:15:38

Same as the others. Yes it is keyhole, but it is a serious op. Had mine done a few months ago. They go through your tummy button, which looks quite distorted, but bounches back to normality quickly. And a wound, in hairline, that heals quickly.
But the overall feeling, is sore. not pain as such just discomfort. for atleast a week. I have had 2 c-sections and I would describe the recovery as the same.
After a week and a half I was just fine - same as cs.
Glad I've had it done though.

lou33 Thu 29-Oct-09 20:19:05

i was done nearly 8 yrs ago now, 4 children was enough for me and my then h refused point blank to have the snip

i was back to normal after 3 days

i remember how long it was because during my recovery he did absolutely nothing about the house, so on the third day i was up and about cleaning and tidying and doing the laundry angry

alibobble Wed 04-Nov-09 16:38:01

thankyou for all the info. will def take under advisement and look into it i think.

agedknees Wed 04-Nov-09 20:34:33

I had my tubes tied on the Thursday and was back at work on Monday. Felt as if I had been kicked in the stomach by a horse for a day, but after that I was fine.

Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now