Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gift for someone about to undergo radiotherapy/chemo

(7 Posts)
sleepwhenidie Wed 28-Oct-09 19:22:44

This probably isn't really under the right topic but best friend's sister has just undergone a lumpectomy, to be followed by chemo/radiotherapy. I wanted to send something to let her to know we are thinking of her (from quite far away). Food I thought wouldn't be wanted and flowers a bit dull..any ideas please if you have been through this or know someone who has?

RubysReturn Wed 28-Oct-09 19:28:12

crystallised ginger (good for nausea)
pressure bands for wrists (also)
magazine subscription ( v positive to be looking for whole year ahead and you can use tesco vouchers)
audio books
nice moisturiser
Lovely room fragrance or linen fragrance (nice if stuck in bed for a bit)
chillow pillow - good for hot flushes
itunes vouchers

sleepwhenidie Wed 28-Oct-09 19:43:16

thanks Ruby, some great suggestions smile

CMOTdibbler Wed 28-Oct-09 20:33:22

The magazine sub is a great idea as there is a lot of hanging about involved.

silk pillow case and pyjamas - skin can be v sensitive during chemo and radiotherapy, and they reduce irritation

Books of the sort that are light and enjoyable, but can be put down and picked up easily. Georgette Heyer is someone who fits the bill nicely - happy endings all round but not saccarine.

Tub of sweet and sour type jelly sweets - esp in the little packets. The sugar helps when not in the mood for anything else, and many people like sour things when other tastes have gone

If you are crafty, a little blanket or quilt to take with her for chemo/rt is lovely as it can be v cold. I went somewhere where they had a 'covered in love' program where everyone got a quilt and it was much appreciated

ThingOneofYourNightmares Thu 29-Oct-09 08:45:52

White company cashmere bedsocks.

mummygogo Thu 29-Oct-09 19:51:52

I got my friend a huge basket of fruit to help her take care of herself. Didnt think about her not having an appetite so dont know whether she ate it. I was just thinking about all the goodness in the fruit to help her with her battle.

sleepwhenidie Thu 29-Oct-09 20:25:36

Thanks everyone, some really useful ideas for me, difficult to choose now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now