Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The Pill and migraine

(7 Posts)
purplepeony Wed 28-Oct-09 18:56:53

Anyone ever had this?
My DD aged 21 is now on her 3rd Pill after the other 2 gave her bad headaches. She is now on Loestrin after giving up Dianette (originally for acne) and Yasmin.

She is getting regular headaches, though has just been on the new pill for a week or two- are there any of you who just can't take the pill due to this side effect?

I am worried about her as she is at uni/not in a permanent relationship ( but steady boyfriend) and simply mustn't get pregnant and non-hormonal birth control doesn't seem to be an option.

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Wed 28-Oct-09 19:19:53

Yep.

It took me bloody years to realise the connection as well.

As soon as I came off the pill the headaches were gone. I would never go back on it.

herbietea Wed 28-Oct-09 19:22:14

Message withdrawn

moulesfrites Wed 28-Oct-09 19:23:10

I am worried that I may have to come off the Pill as I seem to have migraines a lot and recently have had a couple with "aura" which seems to mean that there is a risk of stroke - going to the docs tomorrow.

I hope your daughter gets sorted out.

DevilsEnticeMadness Wed 28-Oct-09 19:24:12

Full pill or mini pill?

I get such bad migraines that i have been told I cant have the full pill or implant or anything with estrogen (sp) Have also had migraines with one or two of the mini pills. Mini pills generally better and it is possible to try that.

This might be a stupid question but if she is at uni is she getting enough sleep as I get very severe migraines from lack of sleep and not just from one really bad night also from a build up of sleep deprivation.

Managed ok with depo headache wise but it did make me a bit of a psycho otherwise.

CantThinkofFunnyName Wed 28-Oct-09 19:28:11

OMG - I used to get these soooooo bad. In fact, I tried, according to the GP, EVERY different type of contraceptive pill at the time (20 yrs ago now) and they gave me the worst migraines with really really high blood pressure. I was at the stage where I was at work 4 days a month - the rest off with migraine. It just couldn't go on.

No contraception worked for me - only condoms in the end (and as i'm now on 3rd DC, can't really say they worked either) grin

purplepeony Wed 28-Oct-09 19:39:48

Thanks ladies.
Her dr knows as it is why she went to see her and they suggested the new pill. It is early days.

Lack of sleep is an issue too I suspect.

I never had the problem even though I get worse migraines than her- when I get one!
I used to take the triphasic pill- Trinordiol- not sure if they are still popular- talking over 20 years back- but they suited me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now